SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Mend it? 8 47.06%
Replace the rear with another of the same? 8 47.06%
Replace both tyres now? 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-04, 02:02 PM   #1
Jabba

Default Tyre nailed (sob)

After cleaning and polishing "my precious" yesterday afternoon (too hot here to ride ) I noticed a small flat-head nail in the rear hoop. Gently easing the nail out gave rise to a tell-tale hissing sound

The nail is about 1.5" off centre, just about where the tyre would eventually square-off.

So, what do I do? Get it mended (the tyre has done 2.5k miles and is otherwise in good nick) or splash-out on a replacement? If I replace it do I get a straight replacement (its a Bridgestone BT56 or summat like that) and swap both tyres next time round, or do I swap both tyres for something "better" now?

If it were a car tyre I wouln't hesitate - it would be mended by now.

All advice on experiences with mended tyres welcome
Old 01-08-04, 02:19 PM   #2
Muttley

Get it repaired. I had a puncture in about the same place in my back tyre after just 600 miles.

Got it repaired, cost about £20 or there abouts although I did take the wheel off, not ride in ride out.

2K later and its been fine.

I'd say unless your tyres are nearing needing replacing get it repaired.
Old 01-08-04, 03:46 PM   #3
Stig

I would plug it. These days the repair kit that you can buy (same as AA use) are brilliant. I would plug and play without a doubt.
Old 01-08-04, 04:19 PM   #4
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
I would plug it. These days the repair kit that you can buy (same as AA use) are brilliant. I would plug and play without a doubt.
Presumably this would involve my removing the wheel/tyre?

I think I'm too much of a numpty to trust myself to do it properly
Old 01-08-04, 04:45 PM   #5
Warren

ok , im an expert on this - i had 3 punctures in the last three months
(i know im unlucky)
last week just before the essex meet i had the same problem (cleaining the bike and discovering something i didnt wanna see)

1/ it might be tempting - but DONT CALL A DEALER !!!! they will rip you off

2/ leaving you with 2 options.

a - take the wheel off - not the whole tyre - just the wheel and take it to a tyre shop and ask them to put in a mushroom plug - there very good. just a bit of rubber that goes in your tyre from the inside

b- fill your bike up with air , ride for quater of a mile then top up - till you get to a tyre shop . then ask them to put in a mushroom plug.

either option is good.
i went to a dealer (the day after i bought a brand new bike from them) and they said there would be a 2 week waiting list for the tyre to be fixed and it would cost me 40 quid , plus 25 quid labour (55 quid )

i use universal tyres - they charged me ten quid and a five minuit waiting list. good chaps.

the manufactures book says not to use them - and if you do, do not exeed 60mph - but i know loads of people who have them and have wrode at 100mph + on a daily basis

ive tested mine with a pillion to 145mph and its still good.

hope this advice is good to you jabba - as it saved me lots of money
Old 01-08-04, 04:47 PM   #6
Warren

<<<<<ment 65 quid.

let us know how u get on
Old 02-08-04, 07:07 AM   #7
Mogs

Bad luck.

I would get it repaired, but don't just go to the dealers, shop around, for a good price.

Treat tyres as a consumable, like fuel. Only go to the dealer for items that can effect your warrantee.
Old 02-08-04, 07:59 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
how effective are these. I live in fear of a puncture, are they simply a get you home jobby or a permanent seal
Old 02-08-04, 08:23 AM   #9
wheelnut

A mushroom plug is an ideal fix. It depends where the hole is whether they will do them. In the sidewall it is not a good idea, but as you dont normally get punctures there and it is normally in the centre of the tyre on the contact patch. I have used them!

The frightening bit is when they reamer the hole out with like a big bradawl and grind the inside of the tyre to clean the surface.

Here is a link to best plugs and a little diagram to say where it is safe to use them!

http://www.rema-tiptop.de/automotive.../minicombi.php

You have to be aware that if water has got into the carcass, it can rust the steel belting and cause seperation. The object that punctured a tyre in the first place can also damage the carcass. Rare, but that is the reason you are told not to repair tyres.
Old 02-08-04, 11:07 AM   #10
Jabba

Right -the current situation is:

The local dealer doesn't repair and quoted me £151 for new tyre (plus fitting ). The fact that they told me that my current tyre is no longer made (but is listed on the Bridgestone UK website) doesn't inspire confidence. Add to that that they quoted me for a BT010 rather than the closer-matched BT020 and you'll understand that I ain't going there for tyres. Ever

However, thanks to a recommendation from Kevin Morgan (mogs), it is likely to to be mended (subject to there being no tyre-cord damage) at Pee Gee in Caerphilly this coming Thursday afternoon

Having looked through MCN and Ride, etc over the weeked, I'm really envious of the choice of tyre places in the south East of England. There's nothing like that here. Anyone want to go into business? We'd make a killing