SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-06, 06:21 PM   #1
weazelz

Default damper rods - loosening/tightening

anyone got any bright ideas for holding the damper rod whilst I loosen/tighten the bolt ? it's just rotating with the bolt at the moment - I've tried putting the springs back in & pushing down on it, or pushing down on it with a broom handle stuck up it, but no joy

many thanks
Old 27-09-06, 08:10 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Leave forks assembled. Get allen key and 8mm spanner … slide 8mm spanner on the allen key, place allen key in the damper rod bolt as usual, slide spanner down as close to the bottom of the fork as you can .. i.e. just resting on it. Get a club hammer and smack the spanner in the appropriate direction. This ‘shocks’ the bolt undone in a similar way to a air gun. That cracks it loose, then undo the rest normally. Works every time.
Old 27-09-06, 08:21 PM   #3
weazelz

thank mate. I had got the 'crack' done already, it was the loctite'd rest that was causing the problem. I've got it done now - taper-ended broom handle & the finger off a rubber glove seemed to do the trick
Old 27-09-06, 09:50 PM   #4
jonboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
I've got it done now - taper-ended broom handle & the finger off a rubber glove seemed to do the trick
It's a good job this is a conversation about motorbikes
Old 27-09-06, 10:01 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I had the same problem, I tried to undo the bolt once I had undone the forks and removed the spring.

I put the forks back together again and with some pressure on the spring I was able to undo the bolt.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 10:03 PM   #6
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99
Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
I've got it done now - taper-ended broom handle & the finger off a rubber glove seemed to do the trick
It's a good job this is a conversation about motorbikes
LOL - yeh, I'm still walking a bit funny
Old 28-09-06, 11:36 AM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Fizz's way usually works, had to admit defeat on my mate's curvy last winter, no amount of broom handles were working so had to take the forks to a shop to get the damper rod bolts slackened. The shame!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 12:19 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
Fizz's way usually works, had to admit defeat on my mate's curvy last winter, no amount of broom handles were working so had to take the forks to a shop to get the damper rod bolts slackened. The shame!
I always find the 'clout' method is more effective ...
Old 28-09-06, 12:35 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
I always find the 'clout' method is more effective ...
'clout' method is ideed good, it also helps when tightening up again if you keep spinning the damper.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 12:45 PM   #10
riktherider

i find the best way is to use a square setion of wood, about 12mmx12mm. that should be sufficient enough to ram down and clamp the dam[per rod inside. then if need be use an adjustable spanner to hold the wood whilst holding the allen key in the vice