SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-11, 04:19 PM   #1
cornish lass

Default Lowering the seat height?

I'm new to all this so hello to all. Just returned to 2 wheels after 5 years off and have treated myself to a beautiful SV650. Having remembered why I love 2 wheels so much on this fantastic weekend, would just love to be able to get my feet on the floor a little easier. Have looked on internet and don't really want to pay £100 for a seat which will make it 10ml lower, doesn't seem worth it. Any ideas about how to help? I'm not very technical so don't know about changing suspension etc. All ideas welcome. Just hope I can stop being so wobbly when I come to a standstill, tis a bit embarrassing, my mate suggested stabilisers!!
Old 10-04-11, 04:59 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lowering the seat height?

Hi and welcome, three main ways to approach this, cutdown seat, change the dogbones (suspension link plates) of get a pair of ladystar boots (have an inbuilt raised sole), I've never needed any myself, but all three work.

you can get a seat remodeled for about £50 if you find a local upholsterer, it's just a case of removing the cover and chopping some of the foam away, the dogbone solution is effective but be aware it does change the geometry of the bike so the front forks would need adjusting as well to maintain the balance of the bike, the boots are a good way as the bike remains standard, you may need to adjust the gear and rear brake pedals a little to fit, but nothing other than that, a lot of folks love them.

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:01 PM   #3
davepreston

what year sv
Old 11-04-11, 07:36 PM   #4
Teejayexc

As above, I have a set of dogbones and a re-sculptured seat from a former vertically challenged owner of my Sv if your interested ?

Would be helpful to know the year we're talking about though
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:46 PM   #5
minimorecambe

I bought a used seat from ebay and cut it down myself.
Wasnt hard to do and cut away about an inch of foam
Old 11-04-11, 08:34 PM   #6
cornish lass

Thanks everyone. What a nice helpful friendly bunch you all are. He is a 58 plate SV650S K8. Mate of mine has offered to have a go at the seat and will try that before anything else.
Old 11-04-11, 08:37 PM   #7
minimorecambe

Just cut bits at a time and try keep the same contours
Old 11-04-11, 09:34 PM   #8
littleoldman

Just used dogbones to lower my Gixer and they worked a treat. I have a gel pad for the SV as on 300 mile runs its a bloody num bum., so any less foam may not be a good idea for longer runs.
Old 11-04-11, 09:43 PM   #9
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Spend over £300 and get some Daytona Ladystars they are well comfy and make you tall LOL

I have the lowered seat too but this doesnt lower the bike much, dog bones would make more of a difference but it depends on how short ya legs are. (I am a short ar$e)
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 07:44 AM   #10
cornish lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman View Post
Just used dogbones to lower my Gixer and they worked a treat. I have a gel pad for the SV as on 300 mile runs its a bloody num bum., so any less foam may not be a good idea for longer runs.

I've got plenty of natural padding!!!