SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-09, 05:41 PM   #1
gaal_alexandru

Default Oil filter change

According to the service manual, the oil should be replaced at every 6000 km (or ~3500 miles), and the filter at every third oil change, is there any point to change the oil filter to, at every oil change?
I’ve made ~3500 km (~2000 miles) since last oil change, now I’m going to change it because the bike wasn’t started since november, but is there any reason to change the filter to?
Old 09-02-09, 06:35 PM   #2
MattCollins

Default Re: Oil filter change

I didn't realise the oil filter interval is 18k. Didn't look to be honest. I do them at every oil change which I have been doing at 5000km intervals (currently at 12400km and 4 point something weeks since new). I figure oil filters are cheap (~$500 for the life of the bike - I bought 40 of them) and engines are expensive.

Cheers
Old 09-02-09, 08:28 PM   #3
gaal_alexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCo View Post
I didn't realise the oil filter interval is 18k. Didn't look to be honest. I do them at every oil change which I have been doing at 5000km intervals (currently at 12400km and 4 point something weeks since new). I figure oil filters are cheap (~$500 for the life of the bike - I bought 40 of them) and engines are expensive.

Cheers
you're right, it's much cheaper an oilfilter then an engine, i've changed it every time with the oil (~4000 km), but i was just wondering if it has any point, considering that the SV engine goes rarelly over 10k rpm

thanks, for the advice
Old 09-02-09, 08:49 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

At over 10krpm the oil filter isn't doing much, lots of bypass flow at high speed.

It doesn't matter though, oil contaminants are just as bad for a motor at tickover.
Old 09-02-09, 09:16 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I always change the filter too.Why not?They dont cost much.
Old 09-02-09, 09:16 PM   #6
Spokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
At over 10krpm the oil filter isn't doing much, lots of bypass flow at high speed.

It doesn't matter though, oil contaminants are just as bad for a motor at tickover.
probably worse in fact, as at tickover, the motor isn't rotating very fast, and as such isn't drawing much oil between the surfaces to build up a decent hydrodynamic layer ... the faster your engine is running, the more oil it's drawing in between the lubricated surfaces.

Spokey
Old 10-02-09, 05:13 AM   #7
MattCollins

Consider also that crud in the filter will make the bypass open just that little bit sooner if the filter cannot offer full flow at any rpm. It only takes a small piece of anything bypassing the filter to score a crank journal. Also, the 0.25-0.5 litre of oil that is left in the system with the oil filter carries an amount of contaminates (acids, carbon...) that passes through the filter and contaminates the fresh oil to some degree. Those contaminates may shorten the life of the fresh oil.

A person very knowledgeable in his field once asked me what colour oil is in a discussion where we disagreed on the servicing of stationary motors. I let him answer his own question to see where it was going. I couldn't believe it when he said "black"....

I have to admit that I rarely give much thought to why I replace the filter at every oil change. I just do it. Clean oil and a clean filter just makes sense.

Cheers

Last edited by MattCollins; 10-02-09 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 09:41 PM   #8
sv650blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCollins View Post

Cheers
If the bike design engineers state clearly you can do them every 18,000 klms, the only benefit you are getting out of changing them every oil change is a psychological one.
sv650blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 07:52 PM   #9
glang

Theres actually a risk every time a filter (or any component) is changed that its done incorrectly or that the replacement is faulty. OK its a small risk but something taken very seriously in industry so that maintenance is always a balance between the risk (and cost of course) of changing something and the potential damage caused by not doing it. Suzuki calculates the filter change intervals (usually with a margin to allow for worst case senarios like hard engine use or highly dusty environments) to give the optimum balance of these factors.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 08:08 PM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

90,000 mile curvy. Oil and filter is changed every 5000 miles. Bike still runs perfectly and uses very little oil.

I'll keep changing the filter at each oil change thanks.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote