SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-20, 07:29 PM   #1
Benjins

Default Ignition goes 'pop'...

Hi everyone. Long time since I've been on here but it's been a long time since I've been on the bike. Not ridden the SV for about 4 months and decided now's a good time to do some maintenance since I'm not going anywhere.

So I try the ignition this morning and, of course, the battery is absolutely dead. Out comes the charger and after a few hours the battery is charged. I connect everything up, turn the keys, lights come on and pump primes. Press the ignition button and 'pop'. Sounds like something in the seat area has popped. Maybe a fuse. So I open up the little fuse box under the seat and replace the 30A fuse with the spare. Turn the key, all seems normal and then 'pop' when I press the button.

Not had this issue before. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Some internet searches points to the regulator, but other suggest it could be a wiring short. Does this sound right or am I missing something? Any help greatly appreciated.

Stay safe everyone!
Benjins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 08:25 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ignition goes 'pop'...

In the absence of anyone more knowledgeable...

Curvy or pointy?
"You opened up the little fuse box" Most of the fuses are in one box but the 30A fuse is in the starter relay which is separate - is that the one you changed? Had it actually blown?
I don't think it is the regulator because it would blow the fuse the moment you switched the ignition on.
A wiring short could do it but they generally happen through wires chafing through movement, if your bike has been idle and it was working when you last used it, that's unlikely too (unless you've been moving it around your garage).
Having said that, the curvy has a couple of areas that are prone to chafing:
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=154844

I would inspect the starter relay itself looking for any signs of water getting inside. Assuming you have a meter you can measure the starter relay coil resistance (3-6 ohms). You're going to need some 30A fuses.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...age=314#manual
Old 06-04-20, 11:41 AM   #3
Benjins

Default Re: Ignition goes 'pop'...

Thanks for the reply. I have an ‘04 pointy. 27k on the clock. It’s the starter relay fuse that I changed. There were two 30A fuses in there. I assumed one was the spare so swapped them over after the first time it happened and then it popped straight away again. I’ll have a look at all the potential areas for wiring to be compromised and let you know where I get to.
Benjins is offline   Reply With Quote