SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-11, 03:11 PM   #1
Destruktor77

Default More Knocking!

After changing front cam chain tensioner (SV650 2000), a new knock has appeared. It gets louder with revs and can feel it when touching the front cylinder.

I've decided to give to a garage to sort it as I haven't got enough time at the moment.

Could it just need adjustments/distances since the cam chain went loose with the faulty tensioner? if so how long would that usually take to sort (just to get an idea of costs)

Regards
Rory
Old 10-10-11, 01:14 PM   #2
Destruktor77

Default Re: More Knocking!

Anybody?

Can this sort of noise come from wrongly adjusted clearances? like the tappets? stuff like that?
Old 10-10-11, 01:56 PM   #3
TamSV
Mega Poster

Did the CCT totally fail? If so, the slack chain could have slipped a tooth somewhere and the timing could now be out.

What happened when the CCT failed? Did you get loads of chain slap and pull over or did it conk out?

Check the timing and, while you're at it, the valve clearances. If that's all OK it might be the chain guide or the chain itself that's the problem.

I'm interested in the failed CCT though - did you have a thread on it? I've read about loads of curvy tensioners being changed but I can only think of one thread where it had actually broken.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 02:12 PM   #4
Destruktor77

Someone else owned the bike before me, they said they heard it go and just pulled over, I did run it for about 5 seconds to hear the sound. So I guess it could have slipped a tooth.

The CCT spring failed, it wouldn't spring back out at all. there was a thread but can't remember what it was called.

The chain rattle has completely gone and it's just this knocking sound.

More likely to be adjustments rather than faulty parts then?
Old 10-10-11, 09:30 PM   #5
chrisinflight

The valve clearances being out of spec. will not make any knocking noises. The clearances get tighter resulting in more heat. No noise just unwelcome heat! As mentioned sounds like timing is slightly out.
Old 10-10-11, 09:45 PM   #6
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinflight View Post
The valve clearances being out of spec. will not make any knocking noises. The clearances get tighter resulting in more heat. No noise just unwelcome heat! As mentioned sounds like timing is slightly out.
Very true - I agree the noise won't be down to normal tightening up of clearances. The reason I suggested checking clearances is that he might spot a strange measurement if there's a bent valve.

Plus, while you're in there anyway, you might as well check them then you don't need to go back in again for a while.
Old 20-10-11, 03:57 PM   #7
Destruktor77

SOLVED, turned out to be timing, now is running sweet.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 20-10-11, 04:03 PM   #8
TamSV
Mega Poster

And presumably with no damage caused? Lucky.