SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 29-02-20, 10:15 PM   #6811
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Twirling the ISO knob didn't do anything, it's lined up again now. I perhaps should have left the top off for daylight to see if I could adjust the meter, but I'll just do it with the ISO for now.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 01:30 PM   #6812
yokohama

Thanks for the offers Sir Trev but I'll pass too. I'm trying to downsize a little.
Amazing serendipity though. I've a Praktica Super TL up for sale on ebay at the moment and have just sold my Pentax P30.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 05:14 PM   #6813
Kenzie

I have a Praktica BX100 and a BX20 that will be shifted shortly. I don't mind donating bits like this as most things I have picked up cost less than a tenner and I can't be dealing with the hassle of selling them.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 09:24 PM   #6814
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Not sure if I trust the meter on the OM-1, put a film in it anyway. Spent a bit of time on the Mamiya, in the end (i.e. after much wasted time, in hindsight) it appears the shutter is cokked, and the self timer is jammed solid. Any tips on releasing it? I can't get into the shutter, the first element came off fine, the name ring has notches, then it's just featureless after that, I don't know if I need a large rubber grip for it. As part of the investigation I painstakingly peeled off the skin, it's nicely made, has tiny Mamiya "M"s all over it.
Old 01-03-20, 09:37 PM   #6815
Kenzie

I only have experience of freeing off self timers with the shutter stripped. Have you got a pic of where you are up to? Just seen the pic on faceache. I would hazard a guess at screwing the lens group out en-bloc like Yashica do.

Last edited by Kenzie; 01-03-20 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 10:11 PM   #6816
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I think you're right, I don't have a large grip like that, will have to see what I can do. I'm as sure as I can be that's what it is. It has an M/X lever, and when you try to move it from X to M, it also slides a blind across the slot for the self-timer, so you can't set it when you're on M-sync. At the moment, the blind hits the self timer lever, it's at the wrong end of its slot i.e. it's already set. I tried moving it from X to M and back, that sometimes does it, but no dice. I think the cokking and shutter release mechanisms that are outside of the shutter are working.
Old 02-03-20, 07:32 AM   #6817
Kenzie

I did read somewhere that using a self timer in the incorrect flash sync mode can cause a jam. Not sure which mode but could only be fixed by stripping it down. I bought my lens cones off Amazon, been invaluable for opening stuff without damage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013HFY..._hBlxEbZ6VCMCJ

but I don't remember paying as much.

Last edited by Kenzie; 02-03-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-03-20, 09:49 PM   #6818
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

They don't seem to be a lot cheaper on ebay, around £20. Might just have to bite on it; I have a set of rubber corks from the lab but they really only work well if you can jam the smaller end into something, and that's not possible with this. I think it's also jammed in there pretty tight as well. I guess I could squirt a bit of something down the side, as there is a gap between the next part to come out and the ring around the outside of it (shutter speed ring I think). Heresy perhaps but it already doesn't work.
Old 03-03-20, 06:49 AM   #6819
Kenzie

Maybe try Microtools? It seems a wedge of dosh but they are well worth the investment. Makes working on cameras a breeze.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-20, 07:55 PM   #6820
Kenzie

This looks nifty. Modern hotshoe light meter
https://petapixel.com/2020/03/02/thi...photographers/