SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 12-04-05, 01:11 PM   #1
skidmarx

Default Advice for Holland?

I wonder if anyone has any advice for a trip to Holland this summer? I would like to tour from uk to Holland spend a couple days in Amsterdam and then pick my way back through Belgium and France and return via Calais. If anyone has any good ideas for routes etc and especially friendly and cheap places to stay that have secure parking for bikes etc I would LOVE TO KNOW! First week in August looks likely. Any other tips ie Insurance, spares, petrol, and anything else for a first timer abroad?
THANKYOU
Old 22-04-05, 03:50 PM   #2
Magoo

Ridden there and lived htere but cheated when I took the bike over and took the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry there and back. Only ever rode around the local area (I was in the Hague) and used the deserted industrial estates in Rijswijk to practice the stunts (fabulous roads, empty, small round abouts, preset tracks etc)

Anyway, not much help but if you need any questions about holland itself answered then drop me a PM.

BTW, I think there is a guy on the forum at the moment living in Amsterdam so he may be more help.

Cheers

Magoo
Old 24-07-06, 10:10 PM   #3
Jamin

Default Advice for Holland (aka Land of the chicken strips)

Hi there

Maybe its me living near amsterdam??..well about 40kms north west.

Can't really advise holland as being a great place for bikes, most roads are straight with the only excitement being roundabouts and sliproads...(please somebody prove me wrong...I'd love to know some decent roads)...and the police are manic about speeding.

Most people who I have spoken with over here take there bikes to germany, luxembourg or switzerland.

If you live in the North of england then you can use the Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry which is an overnighter...then use the holland roads to get to somewhere interesting.

I'm planning on a trip to the Rhine valley one weekend when I get some time off work....will report when done.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Ta

Ben

Pointy Copper SV650S
Old 26-07-06, 04:05 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

The north half of Belgiumis pretty flat too, with no great roads that I know of. Personally I'd think about visiting Amsterdam, then blatting down the motorways to the Ardennes (approx 3-4hrs) in southern Belgium, then into Luxembourg &/or France, returning up through to calais or somewhere.