SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-08-18, 04:23 PM   #291
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Finally got out this morning after last night's tinkering with the bike. My boys came too on their bikes. 8.1 miles. It was a new route for them so involved a lot of stopping and plenty of nattering.

I feel much more relaxed for going, or is it just that I'm now knackered.
Well done, a good distance too. I quite like social runs with the odd stop for a chat, or a picture. Makes it all really enjoyable.

I love that post run feeling, a mix of endorphins, serotonin, and tiredness!

I was going to run this morning but failed to get out of bed in time. I'm meeting someone tomorrow morning with mountain bikes and our dogs for a ride in a local piece of forest. I'll see about a run on Monday I hope.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 08:25 AM   #292
daktulos

It's been a bit of a mixed week for me - I went running on Tuesday, and my ankle gave way after less than a mile of easy running. No amount of stretching would stop it from hurting after a couple of paces, so I had to stop. Wednesday I felt it just walking, and it slowly got better through the week, but no running.

Sunday ... I had entered a local 10k race. As my wife was also running in it, I didn't have the option of not going, so I thought I'd give it a go. I could feel the ankle complaining at me, and thought about pulling out continuously for the first 7k. Then I realised I was just using it as an excuse and got on with it. Very happy to finish, and my ankle is fine this morning.

It's the randomness which gets me - I used to like going out on group runs, but at the moment I've got no idea whether I'll finish or not so don't want to let others down. There's a social run going out along the Ridgeway on Wednesday ... I'm going to give it a go. Wish me luck!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 08:55 AM   #293
Red ones
Mega Poster

Two runs this weekend after an 11 month lay-off. Had knee problems last year and ended up being scanned and physio'd then rested.

Only short runs 3k or so but I soon found how unfit I've become.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 02:55 PM   #294
shiftin_gear98

And this thread has finally started....

And their off.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 02:57 PM   #295
shiftin_gear98

daktulos - good luck

Red ones - Ease in steady.

I hadn't been for nearly two weeks and even that short a time frame was enough to notice a difference.
Old 13-08-18, 06:51 PM   #296
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
It's been a bit of a mixed week for me - I went running on Tuesday, and my ankle gave way after less than a mile of easy running. No amount of stretching would stop it from hurting after a couple of paces, so I had to stop. Wednesday I felt it just walking, and it slowly got better through the week, but no running.

Sunday ... I had entered a local 10k race. As my wife was also running in it, I didn't have the option of not going, so I thought I'd give it a go. I could feel the ankle complaining at me, and thought about pulling out continuously for the first 7k. Then I realised I was just using it as an excuse and got on with it. Very happy to finish, and my ankle is fine this morning.

It's the randomness which gets me - I used to like going out on group runs, but at the moment I've got no idea whether I'll finish or not so don't want to let others down. There's a social run going out along the Ridgeway on Wednesday ... I'm going to give it a go. Wish me luck!
Good man for sticking with it! Try and stay off the tarmac and on the trails if possible, much kinder to your joints especially if you are recovering from or nursing a previous injury. Trail running will strengthen your ankles too, which will help to support the joint. Keep going and let's see some of the routes you're running (Strava?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Two runs this weekend after an 11 month lay-off. Had knee problems last year and ended up being scanned and physio'd then rested.

Only short runs 3k or so but I soon found how unfit I've become.
Well done! Remember that running mantra -"run/rest/run/rest". Same thing again, try and run trails rather than tarmac and give the knee a chance. Get your times and routes up here. I always find it really interesting to see how others are doing.

Am I the only canicross runner here so far?
Old 13-08-18, 07:46 PM   #297
shiftin_gear98

Yep. Her in doors don't think much of dogs.
Which is a shame.
Old 13-08-18, 09:05 PM   #298
garynortheast
Mega Poster

We're dog sitting a friend's dog this week, a black crossbreed bitch called Sootie. She and Mabel are best buddies and are an absolutely demon Canicross team. I shall be running with them both in the morning.
Old 14-08-18, 10:30 AM   #299
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Out this morning for just under 8 miles with Mabel and Sootie on a nice mix of terrain. Allt, afon a goedwig: trans. Hill, river, and forest.

Legs are feeling it a bit now and both dogs are flaked out. The middle section of the run alongside the river is mostly pretty flat, but there's my regular big hill at the start, a climb of around 290ft in half a mile and then another couple of smaller climbs in the last 2 miles.

Just a walk for me and the hounds tomorrow I think!
Old 15-08-18, 05:14 PM   #300
shiftin_gear98

I had hoped to get out this evening, but I've strained my back today at work and can now hardly move. Still at least I have alcohol to dull the pain.