SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-17, 05:01 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sprocket change

My 2016 L7 has the lower gearing as standard by Suzuki with a 46 tooth rear sprocket and 15 front and it is quoted as 0-60 in 3.2 sec (with 76 ponies), certainly feels like it as well. I guess as its a naked bike Suzuki went for acceleration rather than top speed and I think it rides better for it. Still manage good MPG as well. I think larger rear is the way to go rather than smaller front as it means the chain does not have to wrap itself round a smaller diameter, and as Bibio says there is a chance of chewing the swing-arm with a smaller front.

I would agree with EnhancePW - go for it............... I have ridden with bigger bikes and don't feel at a disadvantage at legal speeds.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-09-17 at 05:16 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 06:35 PM   #12
DomP

Thanks for the replies, not dropping the front sprocket teeth makes sense too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 18-10-17, 11:55 AM   #13
Soonmixdin

Hello chaps!

I have a SV650 K8N and I need to do a sprocket change on the front - was thinking about going up a tooth to 16 from 15. Anyone tried this on theirs?
Soonmixdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 12:30 PM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonmixdin View Post
Hello chaps!

I have a SV650 K8N and I need to do a sprocket change on the front - was thinking about going up a tooth to 16 from 15. Anyone tried this on theirs?
yes i had my bike with 16t/44t for about 6 years. its a nice relaxed and lazy setup but requires a lot of gear changes and it also pushes you into corners. you have to predict forward planning a lot more.

the reason i went to a 16t on the front was to stop changing to the imaginary 7th gear, while it worked the bike was also harder work to ride.

i now run 15t/47t and its a world of difference. much quicker for overtakes with less gear changes but its a lot more buzzy at MW speeds.

i have not noticed a drop/increase in fuel going either way.

with a 16t front its slower to get to top speed and you never reach the red line. with upping the gearing to what i have now i can hit the red line in top gear and get there quicker.

if your riding MW/DC a lot then yes swap to a 16t front but if you mainly ride twisty A/B roads then go up on the back. on twisty single track B roads with the 16t front i was pretty much always changing between 2nd-3rd-4th, i'm now only changing between 4th-5th and the odd occasion down to 3rd.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 12:55 PM   #15
Soonmixdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yes i had my bike with 16t/44t for about 6 years. its a nice relaxed and lazy setup but requires a lot of gear changes and it also pushes you into corners. you have to predict forward planning a lot more.

the reason i went to a 16t on the front was to stop changing to the imaginary 7th gear, while it worked the bike was also harder work to ride.

i now run 15t/47t and its a world of difference. much quicker for overtakes with less gear changes but its a lot more buzzy at MW speeds.

i have not noticed a drop/increase in fuel going either way.

with a 16t front its slower to get to top speed and you never reach the red line. with upping the gearing to what i have now i can hit the red line in top gear and get there quicker.

if your riding MW/DC a lot then yes swap to a 16t front but if you mainly ride twisty A/B roads then go up on the back. on twisty single track B roads with the 16t front i was pretty much always changing between 2nd-3rd-4th, i'm now only changing between 4th-5th and the odd occasion down to 3rd.
Thanks Bibs, if only it was possible to try it out!!

I guess one answer would be to buy both then fit the 16T and see if I like it, if not then put the original 15T back on. But I do have to admit that I think the slightly longer gearing might better suit my riding style.
Old 18-10-17, 04:10 PM   #16
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the reason i went to a 16t on the front was to stop changing to the imaginary 7th gear

My K6 S is on stock gearing and I still try and change to 7th at least a couple of times every ride ... did going to 15/47 mean you were still trying for 7th?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 04:36 PM   #17
Soonmixdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
My K6 S is on stock gearing and I still try and change to 7th at least a couple of times every ride ... did going to 15/47 mean you were still trying for 7th?
From what I understand a three tooth rear increase was pretty much the same as a single tooth increase on the front?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 18-10-17, 05:28 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
even more so as the bike is revving higher but only on main A, MW and DC. rest of the time is on offbeat A and B/singe track so rarely in 6th gear. most of my riding is on twisty scottish A roads and single track.

TBH stock gearing is a nice blend and should only change gearing for the type of riding you do. there is no point sticking a big sprocket on the back if you are riding main straight roads. if you keep hunting for 7th then put a bigger sprocket on the front but as i have said it tends to push you into corners so you have to change down on tight corners or else your off the throttle. bigger front sprocket does take a bit of getting used to.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 06:59 PM   #19
Craig380
Mega Poster

Thanks Bibio, good to know. I suppose that because I keep going for 7th after accelerating / overtaking in 6th, I don't really need to gear down ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 03:36 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonmixdin View Post
Thanks Bibs, if only it was possible to try it out!!
If you drop just the one tooth on the front sprocket you won't have to alter the length of the chain (there's enough adjustment to accommodate it) which means you can change back easily if you don't like it. I'm not sure if there is enough to go up a tooth from standard though.

My K5 has one less tooth on the front and hits the limiter around 120mph in top. That's generally enough for most things.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote