SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-11, 08:01 AM   #1
Joeskeppi

Default Legal Number Plate Size?

Morning all, I'm back with the latest issue of Joe's insignificant questions! Yay!

I was looking at getting a tail tidy and I just saw a nice bike in the for sale section with one on which also has a slightly smaller plate.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2010-SUZUKI-SV...item19c45358ec

Is the plate legal?
If not, would the police care much?
Where would I get such a plate?

Cheers!
Old 05-04-11, 08:15 AM   #2
Gabriel2k

Default Re: Number Plate Size

http://www.a1showplates.com/creator.html

I think I am right in saying that anything but the official size would be classed as illegal but I think they let it slide as long as it isn't too bad.
Old 05-04-11, 08:49 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Number Plate Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeskeppi View Post
Morning all, I'm back with the latest issue of Joe's insignificant questions! Yay!

I was looking at getting a tail tidy and I just saw a nice bike in the for sale section with one on which also has a slightly smaller plate.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2010-SUZUKI-SV...item19c45358ec

Is the plate legal?
If not, would the police care much?
Where would I get such a plate?

Cheers!
No
Yes. Only one person got hassled by the police in Wales on last years AR - they pulled him specifically on his plate - £60 fine.
Loads of places online.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:42 AM   #4
Milky Bar Kid

Default Re: Legal Number Plate Size?

No, it's not legal. I can't remember the sizes of hand but I also see that the font doesn't look the correct size. A plate must have standard font at standard size and must have a kit mark and name of the supplier.

Some forces are more strict on it that others. Some will issue with a vehicle defect rectification ticket which basically gives you 21 days to get the plate change but other may fine you straight away with a non-endorsable conditional offer of fixed penalty and as SK says, that's a £60 fine. Also, be aware that DVLA can recall your registration meaning your vehicle will no longer be registered and you will have to pay to register it again! (Although that only tends to happen in the more extreme of cases and I haven't actually heard of it happening yet.)

To be honest, it's a case of you pays your money you takes your chances. It's not the biggest offence out there and not every traffic cop will book you with it however, it does tend to draw unnecessary attention to a vehicle so IMO it's not worth it.
Old 05-04-11, 10:51 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
No, it's not legal. I can't remember the sizes of hand but I also see that the font doesn't look the correct size. A plate must have standard font at standard size and must have a kit mark and name of the supplier.

Some forces are more strict on it that others. Some will issue with a vehicle defect rectification ticket which basically gives you 21 days to get the plate change but other may fine you straight away with a non-endorsable conditional offer of fixed penalty and as SK says, that's a £60 fine. Also, be aware that DVLA can recall your registration meaning your vehicle will no longer be registered and you will have to pay to register it again! (Although that only tends to happen in the more extreme of cases and I haven't actually heard of it happening yet.)

To be honest, it's a case of you pays your money you takes your chances. It's not the biggest offence out there and not every traffic cop will book you with it however, it does tend to draw unnecessary attention to a vehicle so IMO it's not worth it.
Font, Size, Spacing, Details of place that made it, all need to be as specified.

If you are caught, you get treated as if riding without a numberplate at all.

After being caught a number of times - 2 or 3 I think, the DVLA can de-register the bike, meaning that you then have to re-register as a Q-Plate, which will hurt the resale value.

You probably wont be pulled specifically for it, but if you are naughty expect to have it added to the bill

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 11:23 AM   #6
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

The legal size of a motorcycle number plate is 9" x 7" anything smaller than that is deemed to be illegal

A certain font also has to be used

For character spacing etc please see http://www.theplatemarket.com/displa...hp#motorcycles
for more information!

Obviously the smaller the plate and strange fonts will attract more attention from the Law!! On my old SV I had a smaller plate 8" x 6" and embosed lettering. On the GSXR i have a standard sized plate. I never had any problems or run ins using the smaller plate on the SV but as folk have said already you do it at your own risk. If you want a smaller plate that looks good then great just don't moan about it when you get stung
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 11:57 AM   #7
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Font, Size, Spacing, Details of place that made it, all need to be as specified.

If you are caught, you get treated as if riding without a numberplate at all.

After being caught a number of times - 2 or 3 I think, the DVLA can de-register the bike, meaning that you then have to re-register as a Q-Plate, which will hurt the resale value.

You probably wont be pulled specifically for it, but if you are naughty expect to have it added to the bill
..........isn't that what I said?
Old 05-04-11, 12:10 PM   #8
WeegieBlue

I read that the 'standard font' thing doesn't apply anymore, and that as long as the numbers and letters are clearly legible and are not trying to look like other letters then the font will be fine, as long as the letters are correctly spaced and of the right height and width. You also can't have italics if I remember correctly.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will be able to confirm.
Old 05-04-11, 12:20 PM   #9
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieBlue View Post
I read that the 'standard font' thing doesn't apply anymore, and that as long as the numbers and letters are clearly legible and are not trying to look like other letters then the font will be fine, as long as the letters are correctly spaced and of the right height and width. You also can't have italics if I remember correctly.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will be able to confirm.
That's wrong. It needs to be standard font.
Old 05-04-11, 12:27 PM   #10
The Idle Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRamJam View Post

Obviously the smaller the plate and strange fonts will attract more attention from the Law!! On my old SV I had a smaller plate 8" x 6" and embosed lettering. On the GSXR i have a standard sized plate. I never had any problems or run ins using the smaller plate on the SV but as folk have said already you do it at your own risk. If you want a smaller plate that looks good then great just don't moan about it when you get stung
That's the approach I've taken with mine. It's illegal but not "too illegal".
Got mine done at www.platecreator.com