SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-09-19, 10:14 AM   #7661
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

my garage roof has started leaking. I think this may push me over the edge to get a new garage, this one is over 25 years old, prefab concrete (with cracks) and an asbestos roof. If I get a slightly bigger one I'll have room for 3 bikes
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 01:51 PM   #7662
shiftin_gear98

Make it even bigger and fit 4.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 05:02 PM   #7663
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
Another moan about chuffing insurance companies.

CAROL NASH- so there is no doubt about which particular bunch of scammers I'm venting about.

Despite opting out of their "auto renew", they sent me a letter telling me they would renew my policy for the price of a gold toilet unless I phoned them on their cost a small fortune 0333 number.

Found an 0800 number & used that, apparently despite what the letter said they weren't going to renew the policy & the letter was a mistake...

Anyway discussed the premium & got it down to a reasonable amount & as I was due to move house a few weeks later discussed what the premium would be at the new address & they agreed to waive the change of address charge if I changed the address within a month of the policy starting.

So rang to change the address & was told the premium would increase by over £700, which is nearly 4 times what I'm currently paying (no other circumstance changed, same job, same cover, still stored in a garage). The only way would be to cancel the policy (for a fee) and take out a new one for 12 months. Chuffing scammers.

Had a look on comparison sites & the policy from Carol Nash for the new address is less than one from the old one. So I'm guessing this is the only way they can scam some more money from the "customer" or should that be sucker.

I should have told them to "go forth and multiply" when I received confirmation of their sharp practice "auto renew" letter. Lesson learnt.
Update on this.

After having to ring them back (because they didn't bother) I raised a complaint.
Got a phone call this morning, basically the complaints department agreed with me that they have acted improperly.
They have swallowed the full cost of changing the address and I have a full 12 month's insurance with all the extras.

So right result in the end, but it did take 2 and a half hours of my time to get a simple task completed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 07:42 PM   #7664
chris8886
Mega Poster

Got VERY wet on the way home from work tonight. Might be time for some new trousers I think, although it was so extreme I think I might give them another chance first....
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 03:50 PM   #7665
maviczap
Mega Poster

Having traveled by efficient, clean and punctual Finnish railways, I'm now back on overcrowded and ghastly UK trains.

I had to catch the later one as the earlier one was canceled. Eldest daughter is waiting for her train, which is also delayed.

Plenty of track, just crap rolling stock

Last edited by maviczap; 04-10-19 at 03:51 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 11:42 PM   #7666
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Decided to do the quick swap over on the headlights today on the Striple. Just 4 bolts to undo and then fit new bracket with 4 bolts refitted. Only problem was that two of the bolts were about 2mm too long to unscrew without removing the forks... so that quick job became slightly longer!

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 08:54 AM   #7667
garynortheast
Mega Poster

People who don't pay their effing bills. When you're self employed with a very small income, £300 can make an enormous difference.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 09:15 AM   #7668
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
People who don't pay their effing bills. When you're self employed with a very small income, £300 can make an enormous difference.
Totally get what you mean, my step-son has exactly this problem. Being young makes it worse I think, people feel like they can take the **** because of it. Interestingly, you are both in the same line of work.....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 07:36 PM   #7669
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post

I used to work for someone who repeatedly forgot every month to put my invoice on the desk of the person who paid them. If it wasn't on their desk by a certain date then it didn't get paid until the end of the next month. So if I'd done the work at the beginning of that month then it would be two months until I got paid. They never used to realise how difficult it made things for me as they were all on wages. Have that happen with a few people and expenses going out and you can go under fairly quickly as a small self employed sole trader.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 08:31 PM   #7670
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

This is why I always work through an agency - it makes me more expensive to the client but the agency has to pay me regardless of when the client pays them. Not surprisingly I only work for well known and well established agencies as some colleagues have been burned by the minnows. Absolutely sucks and it almost makes me want to go back to being salaried.... but not quite!