SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-17, 10:02 AM   #51
biker_kev

Default Re: Lightened flywheels - group buy?

Hi Guys,

Having a problem trying to remove my flywheel. Tried a breaker bar on the rotor removal bolt yesterday, and it wasn't budging, so then had a go at it with my impact wrench - still not budging.

Left it overnight, then had another go this morning. Still no movement, so got a hot air gun on the centre of the rotor and gave it an extended go with the impact wrench, even backing off the bolt a turn or two and then using the impact wrench to see if it would help to shock it off. Started to see the bolt move a bit, but closely followed by slivers of metal coming out of the rotor where it was stripping the threads.

Any ideas on where I can go from here? At the moment it appears I'm well and truly f***ed..
Old 05-04-17, 10:11 AM   #52
maviczap
Mega Poster

I put a spanner on the rotor and locked it off against a crash bung to stop it rotating. Then I used a long pole on my breaker bar and put getle pressure on the bolt and increased the force gradually until the rotor came off. Took quite a lot of torque to get it moving.

You could try some plus gas on the rotor to help. There's a few tales of the rotors being hard to get off. So plus gas, then heat, then long poleb on breaker bar
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 10:49 AM   #53
biker_kev

Thanks for that idea Mav.

I've just found a spanner that fits the flats on the rotor, and it's just long enough to butt up against the crash bung. I'm going to have to re-tap the threads in the rotor though, as they are so damaged that I can't install the bolt without chewing the threads on that.

I'm just hoping that once I get it re-tapped there will be enough thread to hold when I get the breaker bar on it.

This f***ing bike's costing me a fortune!
Old 05-04-17, 12:14 PM   #54
DomP

Loving my heavy flywheel!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-17, 05:52 PM   #55
SheepShagger

So whats the score now, are we waiting for many to send thier units in?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 01:25 PM   #56
SheepShagger

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 01:42 PM   #57
Grim-Lock

I got a text asking what I wanted and a 3 week guesstimate for the service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 04:00 PM   #58
biker_kev

I'm still struggling to get my flywheel off.

Tap arrived this morning, so re-tapped the thread and at least it seems to be holding when I insert the bolt.

Tried lots of penetrating oil, left overnight, then a spanner on the centre flats, locked off against the crash bung, and a breaker bar on the bolt, with steady pressure applied, but the pressure spread the jaws of the first (cheap) spanner I used. Got a large adjustable wrench on the centre flats next, and used a hot air gun to get some heat into it and it's just starting to chew the centre flats.

My last hope is leaving the bolt in overnight under tension, then having another go tomorrow. My flywheel just seems like the one in one hundred I've read about that really doesn't want to come off!
Old 07-04-17, 04:26 PM   #59
Grim-Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker_kev View Post
I'm still struggling to get my flywheel off.

Tap arrived this morning, so re-tapped the thread and at least it seems to be holding when I insert the bolt.

Tried lots of penetrating oil, left overnight, then a spanner on the centre flats, locked off against the crash bung, and a breaker bar on the bolt, with steady pressure applied, but the pressure spread the jaws of the first (cheap) spanner I used. Got a large adjustable wrench on the centre flats next, and used a hot air gun to get some heat into it and it's just starting to chew the centre flats.

My last hope is leaving the bolt in overnight under tension, then having another go tomorrow. My flywheel just seems like the one in one hundred I've read about that really doesn't want to come off!

I really hope mine is not also one of the 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 08:13 PM   #60
Blapper

Sl0th86's gearbox sprocket was so tight nothing short of a 2000Nm rattle gun would shift it. I'd stop risking the flats of the bolt and go straight there if I were you.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote