SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-08, 10:50 AM   #1
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Tyre Pressures (K8)

I've done a search but still wanted to ask about tyre pressures for the K8.

Book says F33 R36, although looking around, some use F36 R42.

I appreciate it's down to personal choice in the end of the day, but wanted to know people's thoughts on changing from the stock tyre pressures as presumably, they're set to give you the optimum contact with the ground etc etc?

Thanx in advance
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 10:54 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Tyre Pressures (K8)

It can depend on the tyres you use. I ran stock pressures for ages with my Metzeler MEZ6's, but after talking to Baph, I tried having some extra pressure in them (36F 38R) - I found the bike to turn in better and to feel more responsive to steering input, at low and high speeds.

Try it; if you don;t like how it feels, then you can always take it back down. I find that in the winter running higer pressures is better aswell, as the cold weather means the tyres will be a but under pressure until you get some heat in them and the steering can feel heavy; its not so bad on a summers day.

Matt
Old 25-07-08, 10:55 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Start with 33F and 36R and then change the PSI by one or two pounds until you find something that you like.

If you're new to riding and your SV is your first bike. Then I'd just leave them as standard and get some miles under your belt before you start twiddling with the pressures otherwise you wont understand what the bike is doing and you wont be able IMHO to tell if you've made things better or worse.

I'm also guessing your running standard dunlops still ? Pressures are not only dependant on personal choice, but also on the type of tyre as well.

36f 42r is normally what something like my GSXR runs, which runs different size tyres to the SV does. I dont know if thats going to suit your SV with standard dunlops on it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 25-07-08 at 11:03 AM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 11:00 AM   #4
malks

i was meaning to ask some questions on this topic! i've got a set of pilot road 2's on my 56 plate sv. it was in for a service last week and the sheet said pressures were 33(f) 36(r). now the week before the service i had put them up to the 36/42 and thought it was running good. so i asked the mechanic to put them back to what i had them at, he said he would strongly reccommend that i dont run them that high. so i left them set 33/36.

now is there any reason he wouldnt change them, or is he just covering himself/garage as suzuki state the pressures have to be 33/36. i'm changing them back up to 36/42 next time i can get to a garage with the tyre still pretty cold!
Old 25-07-08, 12:13 PM   #5
custard

my two penneth

number 1 - buy a footpump with a gauge on or summat, they are generally more accurate than garages. and check the pressures from dead cold.

number 2 - check the pressures against the tyre manufacturers guide. they are designed to run at specific PSI, to little and they will deform too much, increasing tyre wear, and in the wet they wont shift water as well, they will also not get up to temp as easily (dropping the pressure before a track session is usually a good idea as the tyres will generate more heat)
a little too much, 1 or 2 psi isnt a bad thing esp when carrying a pillion or doing a lot of motorways.

a lot of people say that you should run them under the manufacturors psi tried this but cant get on with it as it feels too squidgy and vague.
Old 25-07-08, 01:32 PM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Cheers for the replies...the tires are the standard Dunlop Sportmax 220ST with 120x60 on the front and 160x60 on the rear.

I check the tyre pressures every morning before I leave for work, although after about a week, the rear tyre loses a couple of psi as it's more difficult to get to the valve (swingarm/chain/exhaust etc) so I always end up losing a bit.

I reckon I'll leave them at the stock pressures for now.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 02:18 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Every day's a little excessive, once a week it's always worth looking round the bike and checking oil, coolant, brake pads, chain and tyres.

I've heard it said that Dunlops tend to run stiffer carcasses than many manufacturers so tend to run lower pressures than some. If in doubt, get in contact with the company who make your tyres.