SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 29-11-11, 11:46 PM   #1
mbeets

Default Building a minitwin

Hi everyone, new to this forum
I am wanting to build a minitwin to start doing some track days and if i feel good enough will start racing in the minitwin class.
I've been looking for a bike for the project for quite a while now and there is plenty of perfectly good road going bikes out there i would rather buy a bike that has something wrong with it that i am going to replace anyway or cat d etc for cheaper. any ideas where to get a bike like this from? or does anyone know anyone selling a bike suitable for a minitwin project? i'm in Sheffield.

cheers
Old 30-11-11, 02:19 AM   #2
Berlin

Default Re: Building a minitwin

From experience... Its FAR cheaper to buy a ready made Minitwin. You only build one from scratch if you want to do it for the hell of it!

and there are lots of good ones up for sale at the moment.

C
Old 30-11-11, 09:11 AM   #3
crisis95

What he said. Check out a minitwin is born thread in the photos section if you don't believe him. You back in the uk carl?
Old 30-11-11, 09:40 AM   #4
TC252

A lot depends on what type of person you are.

If you buy a ready made bike then you never get the satisfaction out of building it, but if you're not that type then the 'off the peg' answer has to be the one!

I personally got a lot of satisfaction out of building my own-and it doesn't cost that much to build a bike-I paid £800 for a spares/repair job off Ebay and spent another £500 to put it on the track-by my 3rd meeting and some race scrubs I was finishing mid pack-fantastic!!

In my opinion you should try and remember what the Minitwin class was invented for...'a cheap way of getting people started in road racing, but competitive enough for experienced racers to enjoy'.

TC
Old 30-11-11, 02:02 PM   #5
Berlin

... and for a couple of hundred quid more than Tony paid you could have a fully set up bike with top suspension and a smattering of Sexy bits if you buy a completed race bike.

But as he says, there's fun to be had in the build... so buy a ready prepared minitwin, take it apart and put it back together again!

I'm back over in Canada Gordon... And there are North American Minitwin (actually Supertwin) plans afoot! Watch this space!

C

Last edited by Berlin; 30-11-11 at 02:37 PM.
Old 30-11-11, 04:22 PM   #6
rvracing

go for the diy option, iv doen that in cb500 and sv650 , you will learn how to build your bike, and be inspired to disign bits and bobs, i will help you with rearsets and sub frames ect, iv designed thease items and machined them up in my workshop, ( forgive the plug) i do intend marketing thease items when i get photos of finished items, and remebber how to put them on this forum, i do believe that racers should engineers aswel to an extent, if we can pass on knowledge, and make stuff for eachother it keeps our way of life cheaper, and as the other member said, minitwin was formulated with that in mind, you go for it lad,
Old 01-12-11, 06:57 PM   #7
paul_c

The main thing to remember if you are going to buy any bike to check that the frame and engine numbers aren`t tampered or defaced in any way. As if you do decide to start racing then if any of the numbers are tampered with then you won`t be able to play.
Old 01-12-11, 09:15 PM   #8
davegixer1300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeets View Post
Hi everyone, new to this forum
I am wanting to build a minitwin to start doing some track days and if i feel good enough will start racing in the minitwin class.
I've been looking for a bike for the project for quite a while now and there is plenty of perfectly good road going bikes out there i would rather buy a bike that has something wrong with it that i am going to replace anyway or cat d etc for cheaper. any ideas where to get a bike like this from? or does anyone know anyone selling a bike suitable for a minitwin project? i'm in Sheffield.

cheers
we built two for the track, where abouts in sheffield are you?
Old 03-12-11, 05:41 PM   #9
TC252

Does anyone have the dimensions to make front wheel spacers-after removing speedo drive on carby bike?
Old 03-12-11, 06:37 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

PM Zadar (Zoran), Tony

He'll probably know the dims for the spacer, go on you know you want captive rear spacers also

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote