SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Which option...?
1 8 40.00%
2 1 5.00%
3 8 40.00%
I don't care cos we've been over this enough times and i cant be arsed to answer! 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-12-07, 02:47 PM   #11
Jester666

Default Re: De-restriction process

Current rules are fine.
Old 20-12-07, 03:02 PM   #12
plowsie

Thanks for that detailed input Jester
Old 20-12-07, 03:14 PM   #13
timwilky
Mega Poster

Sorry but I am of an age where you did your test on a 250 and rode what you liked. That worked very well. You ride like a knob you die. end of problem. I cannot see what was wrong with this method. passing on a 125 with sod all power and then jumping onto a full 33bhp is stupid. However it is just the same as passing a DAS and jumping on a blade/R1. I know people who have done it ok, but I also know some who have been bitten.

The 250s of my youth were plenty fast enough to teach you how to ride prior to doing your test. I would not support additional tests, or time delays etc. Simply get rid of the 33bhp restriction. or better still force all learners irrespective of age to do their test on a full power bike.

I also support the scrapping of unaccompanied learners. A CBT is not enough to equip a learner to ride on the road.
Old 20-12-07, 03:32 PM   #14
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
passing on a 125 with sod all power and then jumping onto a full 33bhp is stupid.
why?
Old 20-12-07, 03:33 PM   #15
poisonidea

Hey all, I think the current rules are fine. Why would someone pay for the training/test, take said test, and then not ride for 2 years? If option 3 were implimented whats to stop the rider taking the "X miles cbt type test" and THEN not riding for 10 years and buying a gixxer? It's complicated enough as it is and you're always going to get nobhead riders/drivers whatever obsure testing method is used... Maybe we should make it law that you have to have an examiner ride pillion whenever you want to ride anyhere to make sure you are riding correctly at all times...
Old 20-12-07, 03:38 PM   #16
Warthog

I think there is more to good bike riding that just mileage. You need a certain amount of mileage to get the skill of riding a bike, but you generally need a certain age to get the right mentality for riding a bike. Its obviously bad to generalise, but usually 18 year-olds feel pretty invincible.
Old 20-12-07, 03:39 PM   #17
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post

I also support the scrapping of unaccompanied learners. A CBT is not enough to equip a learner to ride on the road.
I think your right on this point; I didnt feel a days training was enough for me, so i tended to take it very carefully when i first passed my CBT, building up experiance and confidence on my little scooter. Hoever, some arnt as considerate to their lack of ability, and shove on their helmet (dont do it up) and buzz off down the road weaving in and out of traffic like no-ones business. Why is it they never end up totaling their scooter, yet I got into two accidents?

Matt
Old 20-12-07, 03:40 PM   #18
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonidea View Post
If option 3 were implimented whats to stop the rider taking the "X miles cbt type test" and THEN not riding for 10 years and buying a gixxer?
WHAT?
Old 20-12-07, 03:41 PM   #19
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I think your right on this point; I didnt feel a days training was enough for me, so i tended to take it very carefully when i first passed my CBT, building up experiance and confidence on my little scooter. Hoever, some arnt as considerate to their lack of ability, and shove on their helmet (dont do it up) and buzz off down the road weaving in and out of traffic like no-ones business. Why is it they never end up totaling their scooter, yet I got into two accidents?

Matt
+1 on that, someone i know crashed into a bush on their CBT and still got passed. That is a joke.
Old 20-12-07, 03:43 PM   #20
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Some people are going to be eejits whatever age they are.

Usually found on an R1 with 2 inch chicken strips, but only on sunny sundays

I feel fairly safe in saying that most of the young riders on here don't seem any more invincible or reckless than the older ones, and would be respectful of the massive 67bhp.

So far the opinion that makes most sense is mr timwilky: "you ride like a knob, you die".
Might as well get used to it instead of pretending that power limits are going to help.