SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-11, 09:57 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Normal for a sportsbike to dislike strong winds?

I know my new Daytona 955i is an older design, and probably considered more sports tourer that sports bike, but so is the CBR600F I had in the 90's, so the Daytona is definitely the most 'sportsbike' I've ever owned.

Been out for 150 miles of nothing more than burning petrol for fun today, and the bike is awesome, but the wind was quite blustery. Not gale force or anything, but enough to blow the leaves around.

The bike was all over the place whenever it got a gusty side wind, I never felt quite the same effect on the SV. Big gusts had the bike wandering in it's lane, and involuntarily leaning in a straight line. Big gusts from the direction of lean were quite disconcerting as the bike leans further, the front wheel tucks away and feels like it's washing out on you. When you don't land on your ****, you realise it wasn't a front wheel slide, but just the effect of the wind.

The Daytona is of course fully faired, whereas my SV wasn't. The rake of the forks is also steeper, though I don't know if this would amplify the effects of the wind for the rider?

My SV only really got affected by winds when they were really severe, not just strong and blustery, and having done most of my riding on the SV in the hills of Scotland, I've ridden it in some strong winds.

My question is does anyone else recognise what I'm saying here, and is this normal for a fully faired sportsbike, or is it just something the Daytona is particularly susceptible to?
Old 15-01-11, 10:00 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Normal for a sportsbike to dislike strong winds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
My question is does anyone else recognise what I'm saying here, and is this normal for a fully faired sportsbike, or is it just something the Daytona is particularly susceptible to?
Yes, my GSXR behaves in a similar manner, but thats the only sports bike I have owned, I havent ridden Liz's Ducati enough to comment on whether that behaves in a similar manner or not...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 10:11 PM   #3
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Weirdly, I noticed the wind far, far more on my SV than I do on the Blade. Overtaking trucks on the SV was often followed by the sensation of being kicked in the chest on the SV, never get that now.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 10:14 PM   #4
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Weirdly, I noticed the wind far, far more on my SV than I do on the Blade.

Have you changed your diet recently?
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 11:10 PM   #5
beabert

I was all over the shop today too, first time ive been knocked around since owning it (naked SV) im 10 8 stone btw.

Its just a gusty day.

Last edited by beabert; 15-01-11 at 11:12 PM.
Old 15-01-11, 11:17 PM   #6
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yup, never noticed crosswinds as much on the SV as I did the 749. The 749 has a mahoosive slab of a fairing too.

I would imagine the fairing on yours would catch the wind much more than the SV too.
Bear in mind it was proper windy today too.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 11:20 PM   #7
Mej
Mega Poster

i noticed it on all the bikes i have ridden, worst was probably the SV though, very wobbly.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 11:45 PM   #8
The Idle Biker

Well I was blown off course by the wind today. My wife told me I had to go to DFS sofa factory blah blah at Farnborough to sign up a 40 year interest free credit deal, and the wind blew me straight into the Infinity MotorBike shop, where much to her dismay I bought and returned with a new Shoei crash hat. They didn't throw in any free cushions at Infinity though. Damn that wind.
Old 16-01-11, 12:02 AM   #9
beabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idle Biker View Post
Well I was blown off course by the wind today. My wife told me I had to go to DFS sofa factory blah blah at Farnborough to sign up a 40 year interest free credit deal, and the wind blew me straight into the Infinity MotorBike shop, where much to her dismay I bought and returned with a new Shoei crash hat. They didn't throw in any free cushions at Infinity though. Damn that wind.
Bloody wind!
Old 16-01-11, 03:37 AM   #10
Harry_Mc

i've noticed its quite bad on mine the past few days (fully faired sv650)... a truck passed me on the woodhead pass and it literally felt like i was gonna come off... good fun tho