SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-10-19, 07:16 PM   #1
kryptek49

Default New owner looking for brake disc recommendations?

Hi all! New SV650S owner here, I bought a gorgeous blue 2011 plate last week.

I've just bought some new EBC HH pads for the fronts and rear, and noticed the rotors are all pretty much at the minimum thickness.

I really can't afford a full set of EBC discs right now, so was hoping there was a cheaper equivalent. I've searched on the forum and found 2 answers:

Blackshadow - unfortunately the owner has now retired and is only selling old stock, no SV650S discs available

Arashi - A chinese special, but actually good quality. I can't find this online anywhere.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I should go for instead? There's plenty of budget options on ebay/amazon such as these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Rea...wAAOSwKJ1c6KJD - but I don't want to buy low quality brake discs and I really don't know what I'm getting into with ebay parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
kryptek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 08:33 PM   #2
Bike27

Default Re: New owner looking for brake disc recommendations?

Demon tweeks do new EBC fronts for £116 each, so in your situation I would maybe be considering buying a set of new EBC fronts now and then a rear one as soon as you've some more funds.

Or you could look at used parts, could be a good option, especially if from a low mileage bike.

Oh and Welcome to the forum.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 09:26 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I've had a full set of Arashi wavy discs on my bike for several years and I can definitely recommend them. Very good quality, both materials and manufacture. Just because it's Chinese doesn't automatically mean it's rubbish. These are as good as anything European made that I have seen.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 10:05 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

What you're planning on doing with the bike and how you're going to ride it might be worth considering. If you're thinking trackways and/or enthusiastic riding around the Alps then it would probably be worth investing in a decent set of new discs, if on the other hand you're like some on here who can get over 13k miles out of a tyre it probably wouldn't matter what you fitted........
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 02:01 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Not sure I ever used the brakes on my SV. The engine braking was so good.

----edit, of course I actually did. I'd say fit the best you can afford up front and don't skimp on braking. I wouldn't worry about getting amazing braking on the rear as it's more likely to lead to a wheel lock up if too good. Same goes for pads. HH sintered up front. Less grabby organic in the rear for slow maneuvering.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 05-10-19 at 02:05 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 03:06 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Not sure I ever used the brakes on my SV. The engine braking was so good.

----edit, of course I actually did. I'd say fit the best you can afford up front and don't skimp on braking. I wouldn't worry about getting amazing braking on the rear as it's more likely to lead to a wheel lock up if too good. Same goes for pads. HH sintered up front. Less grabby organic in the rear for slow maneuvering.
Yup, can't say I use brakes regularly except when in traffic, other times use engine braking and then brakes just for last few mph - was a learning curve to get used to the engine braking when I first got the AL7, used to underestimate engine braking power and would slowdown way too early for junctions on engine alone, and had to use power to get to junction - soon got used to it, and I know you were half joking but there is a lot of truth in what you said.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 02:59 PM   #7
kryptek49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike27 View Post
Demon tweeks do new EBC fronts for £116 each, so in your situation I would maybe be considering buying a set of new EBC fronts now and then a rear one as soon as you've some more funds.
Thanks Bike27, I've had a look and there's a lot of different EBC discs, all at varying prices. Is there any major difference between any of these?

@Garynortheast - I don't mind buying Chinese, but I can't seem to source these Arashi's anywhere! Can you see any available online?

@Red Herring - I'm mostly a commuter, but like to take the bikes out on nice days round the countryside when I can. I don't need crazy track brakes, but I do want something quality.

@Adam Ef - I know what you mean! My first bike was a GS500, which had almost no engine braking. The SV is a completely different bike, I have to be careful going round roundabouts as i used to be able to slow down quite gently on the GS, but on the SV if I back off at all I'm thrown forward in my seat!
kryptek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 03:51 PM   #8
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptek49 View Post
Thanks Bike27, I've had a look and there's a lot of different EBC discs, all at varying prices. Is there any major difference between any of these?
It would appear that the more expensive options either have different coloured centres (so the difference is purely cosmetic) or two types of wavy rotor (slightly & very).

Wavy rotors may have some slight technical benefits (feel free to research elsewhere on the net and make up your own mind) but in the real world commuting on your SV, that difference will also be largely cosmetic.

I managed perfectly well with round discs on my Fireblade, a bike that was rather more in need of strong front anchors than an SV.

In short the standard EBC offering will be more than up to the job.
Old 14-10-19, 10:20 PM   #9
Bike27

M and P are doing a 20% off deal (across all their stock not just brakes) on eBay at the moment taking a pair of "Tsuboss" front discs down from £220 to £176.

Can't say that is a brand I've heard of but as a long established and reputable seller, I doubt M and P would sell them if they're junk.
Old 15-10-19, 08:58 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Yup, can't say I use brakes regularly except when in traffic, other times use engine braking and then brakes just for last few mph - was a learning curve to get used to the engine braking when I first got the AL7, used to underestimate engine braking power and would slowdown way too early for junctions on engine alone, and had to use power to get to junction - soon got used to it, and I know you were half joking but there is a lot of truth in what you said.
Ditto.It took me a short while to incorporate the fantastic engine braking of the SV.

I cover both brakes in Traffic as using the rear brake gives much more slow speed control plus the rear brake caliper should never seize as has happened to some who only use the Front brake