SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-08, 09:44 AM   #1
Slim666

Default Front wheel bearings

Done a search but cant find much info. Changing the bearings in my 1999 650 and had a look at the manual. Says you need a special tool to remove them, so what will i have in my garage that will do the job? Any other tips would be greatly apptriciated. Cheers.
Old 18-04-08, 10:55 AM   #2
sv650k4

Default Re: Front wheel bearings

i would normally use a big screwdriver 2 get the old ones out.
Old 18-04-08, 11:03 AM   #3
lookskyward1

Long screwdriver and a hammer.

Be carefull drifting the old bearings out, tapping around the whole circumference of the bearing, don't concentrate on one spot or you can damage the wheel.
Old 18-04-08, 12:07 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I use my nice stainless Bahco punch. Or a big screwdriver, depending on what comes to hand first Pay attention to Lookskyward, that's good advice, if you muller the bearing out mainly by one side it'll tilt and you'll end up ovalling the bearing recess.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-08, 08:24 AM   #5
Slim666

Thanks for all the advice, i'll give it a go. Cheers.
Old 20-04-08, 11:34 AM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

I find that an extension bar from a typical socket set is good for this. Not as sharp and severe as a screwdriver.

Gently does it, doesnt need massive taps. Prop the wheel just off the floor/bench with some wood and tap away.

Tune in next weekend to get tips on how to put the new ones in
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-08, 08:46 PM   #7
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
I find that an extension bar from a typical socket set is good for this. Not as sharp and severe as a screwdriver.

Gently does it, doesnt need massive taps. Prop the wheel just off the floor/bench with some wood and tap away.

Tune in next weekend to get tips on how to put the new ones in

Can we have that "how to" before monday week plz mine new bearings are arriving this week
Old 20-04-08, 10:11 PM   #8
Paul C

I use a 3" wood dowel to drive the bearings in, it is soft and will not mar or otherwise harm the new bearing. I have used the same piece for years, just cut it off square when it gets bunged up. It was a handle for an adze when i bought it, cut it into several pieces for different size bearings, it went from 2" to 5" diameter along the length so works even for truck rear ends with one chunk or another.

I also see a lot of people using a socket reversed on an extension for this, pretty much duplicates a bearing driver. Be careful when using a steel implement.
Old 21-04-08, 06:50 AM   #9
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

I have seen plenty of wheels that have been ruined when the uninitiated try to change bearings. My preferred method for removing the old ones is a long drift, despite having 'blind' hole pullers & slide hammers etc.

The centre of most wheels is either tapered, or has a shoulder on one side, therefore the spacer will dislodge on one side only.
If you have a grinder or a belt sander to hand, evenly reduce the diameter, & the of one of the old bearings until it drops straight into the wheel then reduce the thickness of the centre of the bearing slightly, you then have the perfect bearing drift for installing the new ones. Remember to tap on the outside edge only.

When installing new bearings I always heat the wheel gently, & lightly oil the outside of the bearings.
Do not wallop the new bearings in too tightly so that they are hard up against the spacer. You normally find that on most wheels one bearing goes against a shoulder & the other doesn't. Install the one against the shoulder first, drop in the spacer & then carefully drift the other bearing in until it's just touching the spacer, but you still have a little lateral movement of the spacer. Pass the spindle through to align everything & check that the lateral movement of the spacer is still the same. If it has gone a little floppy (MATRON) drift the bearing in a minute fraction more.
If using an old bearing as a drift you can have the spindle in situ as you're doing it, this really helps to keep everything in line.

Cheers.
Old 28-04-08, 10:38 PM   #10
drag

Quick Q , managed to get my left hand side bearing out, and of course the spacer dropped out easily enough, however the right hand side is not moving an inch for me, am i actually missing something here should it not be the same situation, punch down and drive out, and yes i've made sure i'm not punching the small internal lip..