SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-06, 12:27 PM   #1
walnuts

Default Dumb Newbie Question - Downshifting Technique

This isn't really SV650 related, but since I'm now a SV650 owner I figure I can ask general biking questions here....

On the way into work this morning I followed a slight bend in the dual-carriageway at about 70mph on approach to a roundabout. In the bend I started braking gently and downshifting my way through the gears, de-clutching after each change to make the most of the engine-braking.

On the change from 3rd to 2nd, the back-end slid out slightly which for a new rider like me was a little scary , I'm pretty sure it was my own fault for not being gentle enough when letting the clutch out, but I thought I'd ask you guys whether you think I'm just using entirely the wrong technique?

(I've read about throttle blipping, but I'm guessing thats a bit OTT for a beginner and there must be a simpler solution)

One thing to bear in mind before ripping me to shreds is that the slight bend is pretty long so it seemed overkill to brake and downshift any earlier. Also, the road was damp but it wasn't raining.

All tips greatly appreciated......
Old 25-05-06, 12:33 PM   #2
thor

A lot of new SV riders don't use the front brake enough. If you are not comfortable blipping the throttle, use your brakes a bit more and then change down at a lower speed. You'll get the hang of better changing with time.
Old 25-05-06, 12:35 PM   #3
DanAbnormal

One thing I would say is don't change gear in the bend. Get the correct gear selected before you enter the bend. Also speed and position should sorted before you enter the bend or you will get that stepping out of the rear wheel (which sometimes looks cool but the consequences of it going wrong are not so cool). If I have to change down in a bend I always blip the throttle to avoid the engine braking and rear wheel spin.
Old 25-05-06, 12:36 PM   #4
Law

Blipping the throttle is easy if you get the hang of it. I don't do it myself. You might have changed gear down too early for the back to step out. I'm sure someone with heaps more knowledge about motorcycle mechanics and techniques will set you right.
Old 25-05-06, 12:45 PM   #5
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Blipping the throttle is easy if you get the hang of it.
Agreed. I do it now on most down-shifts without even thinking about it. Just practise and then after a while it becomes second nature!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 01:45 PM   #6
walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
One thing I would say is don't change gear in the bend. Get the correct gear selected before you enter the bend.
I know this makes sense in theory, but the gear I needed for the roundabout was second, but the bend beforehand can be easily taken at over 60mph. I doubt the drivers behind me would have been thrilled if I dropped down to 2nd and took the bend at 30ish!

It's nice to hear from you all that I wasn't doing anything completely stupid, and I'll take the advice and work on the blips.

So would everyone agree that if the road was straight the best way to slow down would be to downshift one gear at a time declutching after each change?
Making a habit of downshifting several gears at a time is bad practice right?
Old 25-05-06, 01:54 PM   #7
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdbl
I know this makes sense in theory, but the gear I needed for the roundabout was second, but the bend beforehand can be easily taken at over 60mph. I doubt the drivers behind me would have been thrilled if I dropped down to 2nd and took the bend at 30ish!

No not at all, the way you change down should be applicable to the situation you are in.
In the situation you describe that is probably the safest course of action.
Old 25-05-06, 01:59 PM   #8
Marshall

Quote:
So would everyone agree that if the road was straight the best way to slow down would be to downshift one gear at a time declutching after each change?
I dont declutch after each change, i just blip and shift down, i used to use the clutch when i first started riding, but as you get more confident in yourself and what the bike can do, just a blip will do
Old 25-05-06, 02:25 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Quote:
I dont declutch after each change, i just blip and shift down, i used to use the clutch when i first started riding, but as you get more confident in yourself and what the bike can do, just a blip will do
Twins i have found dont react very well to down shifting with blips unless its exactly correct, SVs ok but when i did it on a TL it realy did not like it at all. Its worse in the wet. For me up or down the box without clutch is ok.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 02:59 PM   #10
walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Oh dear, have I got the meaning of declutch back to front?
You seem to be saying that you are able to downshift without pulling in the clutch lever, is this correct?