SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-10-11, 12:16 PM   #1
marlboroman

Default Mod 2 fail...

So, SV650 waiting in the garage, mod 1 passed. I had my mod 2 test this morning, and other than several minors for hesitation, failed on a serious in the lane positioning box.

I know I'd say this, but it did seem a bit harsh.

The red arrows show the line I took, the blue one shows the bit where he says I was too close to the road markings - although I was still within my lane.

More annoying was that I did this about 30 seconds from the test centre on the way back.

Oh well, a hundred quid, come back and try again.

Just curious to see what you thought?
Old 20-10-11, 12:48 PM   #2
Reeder

Default Re: Mod 2 fail...

That coupled with a lot of hesitation minors obviously seemed enough for him to not pass you as competent enough. Perhaps without the minors you may have still passed. Keep your chin up and try again.
Old 20-10-11, 12:56 PM   #3
HoL

Very harsh i'd say especially if you only had a couple of other minors. Depends what was happening at the time tho - were you in someones blind spot? overtaking while leaving the roundabout? A friend of mine has failed 3 times on what seem to be very niggly little things but I've been in the car with him & think he's a terrible driver - if he's like that on a bike then he's probably a danger to himself & others so I'm not surprised he keeps failing. I may be wrong but as you're being followed & notes can't be taken at the time then I think the examiner is looking at a more overall performance & if he thinks you're not safe/good enough will just pick something to fail you on, the fact that this was right by the test centre just means it was fresh in his mind.
I got torn to bits for a lot of things that in my opinion were safe (and really were) but my examiner wanted to try & scare the shizzle out of me before I went back on the road.
Old 20-10-11, 01:00 PM   #4
marlboroman

There weren't any other vehicles on that area of the roundabout at all.

According to my instructors, I'm a competent rider, but half the problem today (especially hesitation on pulling out) was down to nerves I think.
Old 20-10-11, 01:02 PM   #5
Reeder

IMO hesitating on the roads is one of the worst things you can do. Will leave you in a lot of sticky situations!
Old 20-10-11, 01:04 PM   #6
HoL

Damn those nerves! I think I was probably helped because I thought I'd fudged up so stopped thinking about being on a test. If you're instructor thinks you're ready then just remember that & don't panic. Good luck for next time!
Old 20-10-11, 01:05 PM   #7
marlboroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
IMO hesitating on the roads is one of the worst things you can do. Will leave you in a lot of sticky situations!
I agree! It's just that makes the minors more serious than the major! I've got stuff to work on, but I think going into the next one a bit more confidently might be the key.
Old 20-10-11, 01:08 PM   #8
husky03
Mega Poster

unlucky mate-if he failed you he was of the opinion that your not ready yet,better to have a wee set back and improve than something bad happen due to a mistake.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-11, 01:20 PM   #9
missyburd

Does seem a tad harsh as you say when you were in your lane anyway but as others have said, the other minors will have swayed the examiner's decision. There may have been a couple of other things he didn't give you a minor for but noticed, all factors in the end result. Unfortunately nerves do tend to get the better of you, but now you've done it once you will know what to expect next time and will breeze through.
Old 20-10-11, 01:56 PM   #10
Owenski

IMO your examiner was correct, for a right turn on a round about to be positioned there suggests you were taking the exit prior to the one you took. You should still have been right of centre at that point, he may have felt you 50p'd the roundabout which his book will tell you shows poor control of the bike.

He and I could be completely incorrect but it's on you now to take it again and prove us both wrong If thats all it was that failed you then you'll nail it next time fella. Anyway I thought mod 1 was meant to be the tricky bit.