SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-19, 05:07 AM   #11
Othen

Default Re: New member - SV400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
I just thought I know sv650 brakes are on the budget end of biking. But I cant remember nissin calipers being that poor.

Turns out most the fluid was hygroscopic and turned into a jelly like substance in the caliper and bottom of the reservoir.

Cheap fixes as you say. Just goes to show preventative maintenence is better than waiting.

Thing is the front and rear braided hoses would have been a few quid same as Ebc pads. But all it needed was a fiver on fluid and some time.

Never even changed the seals they looked in good nick.

Exactly: it made no sense for the previous owner to spend £40 each end changing the hoses and then neglect a fiver’s worth of DOT4 and a few £2 seals to keep the brakes working the way Mr Nissin intended.

On my K6 I took the callipers apart to find most the pistons sticking and fluid that looked like watery coffee. The previous owner had obviously realised there was a problem because I found unopened seals for both ends in the spares box. A few minutes cleaning everything up with some emery paper, fitting the new (free) seals and a bottle of DOT4 had all three brakes working perfectly well.

I suppose on your bike the hosed were a bit of bling, whereas no one would ever see the seals and brake fluid. It is good that you have the brakes sorted out at almost no cost though (always fix the cheapest thing first - very often it solves the problem completely). I think the Nissin brakes are perfectly suitable for a light bike like the SV, there is nothing wrong with single sided callipers as long as they are properly maintained.

Good fortune - enjoy your interesting bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-19, 05:49 AM   #12
Scittyf

I do wonder if the twin setup would be much better. I had a cb500 that again had similar weight and power with just again ingle disc. Plus a Brymbo brake caliper as standard.

In evicts everyone loved it in motorbiking reviews online.

However here I feel inadequate as everyone else's sv comes with a twin disc setup. Although I think in reality unless you are on a track. You probablydon't need the twin setup. Esp with the amount of engine breaking you get on a v twin.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 06:16 AM   #13
Othen

Quote:
I do wonder if the twin setup would be much better. I had a cb500 that again had similar weight and power with just again ingle disc. Plus a Brymbo brake caliper as standard.

In evicts everyone loved it in motorbiking reviews online.

However here I feel inadequate as everyone else's sv comes with a twin disc setup. Although I think in reality unless you are on a track. You probablydon't need the twin setup. Esp with the amount of engine breaking you get on a v twin.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with a single disc set up, I have one on my Scrambler 900 (which I think weighs a little more than a SV) and it is very good indeed (better in the sense that only half as much movement is required at the lever of course).

Your SV probably only has about 50 PS, and it is pretty light, so I think a single disc set up (now that it has been properly maintained) will be perfectly adequate. It is another thing that will make your unusual and interesting bike stand out.

AO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-19, 09:50 AM   #14
Scittyf

Still a little undecided on whether to change the exhaust for something a bit more throaty or a tail tidy to help modernise the looks a little.

Failing that maybe I should keep it stock. But the suspension could do with a bit of work. Although fresh oil and seals have been done to the front so they work correctly. They are just a little slow to react.

I've read a few posts and I guess short of a complete front end swap. Which I am not willing to do. Ktech springs and a ZX10R rear shock appear to be the best bang for buck mix?
Old 07-05-19, 11:01 AM   #15
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Yes. ZX10r rear shock will raise the back end a bit. You might like the extra tipping in feel. I did.
K-tech springs, different weight oils and emulators can all change the front end feel and handling.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 11:10 AM   #16
Scittyf

Just a bit more feel would be nice. I think the front end as standard feels a little vague. Its clearly dampening and doing it's job as its pretty comfy in a straight line.

It just seems to fall apart when going round a corner. Might be the front tyre has seen better days and is a little rounded off though.

I think I'd appreciate the extra height. The SV is quite a small bike...
Old 20-05-19, 10:51 AM   #17
Scittyf

Carbs balanced yesterday and rear brake overhaul. Not hugely needed on the rear brake. But worth spending a few mins doing it I guess.

Carbs were quite badly out. So now back to being responsive from throttle input rather than a lot of lag whilst one cylinder did the work and the other played catch up.
Old 02-06-19, 12:45 PM   #18
Scittyf

First tank of fuel. Got to 190 miles before chickening out. I'm used to bikes with just a trip and a reserve tank.
However on filling up I only managed 11 litres. Which I guess is why the fuel light didn't come on.

By my calcs that makes is close to 77mpg. Pretty impressed with that. Albeit my riding is for fun. Not commuting. But I wasn't holding back on various country roads.

Guess that's the bonus of a smaller 400cc bike. Very good on fuel.
Old 03-06-19, 12:01 PM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Guess that's the bonus of a smaller 400cc bike. Very good on fuel.
The Gladius and AL7 are also good on fuel despite being 650cc. AL7 2016 onwards are Euro4 compliant, I regularly manage over 70mpg and if I care to ride really carefully and short shift near 80mpg. The Fuel injection and twin spark plugs help.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 12:14 PM   #20
Scittyf

Yes I've read that they appear to be excellent on fuel vs the earlier models.
I'm sure I can get it to be higher but I'm never going to commute on it really. Just hoon it round at weekends.

Which is why I was so impressed with the figures. I was expecting around the 50mpg mark. So anything above is a bonus.

Should also give me a tank range of roughly 266 miles @ 70mpg. Which is pretty amazing. Never had a bike with such a good fuel range.