SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-09, 08:26 PM   #1
Draper

Default Post accident, advice on selling SV?

Hi all, had my first proper accident the other day, on a roundabout ~20/25mph taking exit and rear wheel slid from under me. The roads were wet so maybe some grease on the road I don't really know.

Bike damage is - right hand fairing panel knackered, bar end somewhere on the road, fairing/ clock bracket bent, headlight lugs and everything smashed, front and rear brakes snapped, indy smashed, dented can. I've had the brake levers replaced and indy, but am now not sure whether I can afford to be running the bike and paying for the rest of the repairs. I know brand new a fairing panel is 180, headlights 200, bracket 100 so its turning out to be pretty expensive (and the only online parts i can find are damaged themselves).

Can anyone offer any advice on whether it would be worth doing it all up brand new and selling it, selling it with the damage, getting second hand parts, or maybe making it streetfighter style with a big lamp on the front and no fairing (which would obviously be cheaper parts wise but am not sure whether people would be looking for a curvy thats now pretty naked). And any rough ideas what the prices would be for parts and how much for sale in the different conditions. I think I'd be inclined to the streetfighter as its an easier and cheaper job but if it knocks lots of the value of the bike then it might be worth putting abit extra into it.

Sadly I'm thinking it might be cage lessons time, the crash hasnt put me off as such, i didnt even feel anything just slid along the floor, but money wise its draining me specially now. But i feel i've been lucky as nothing else was touched on the bike, its all cosmetic, and i'm ok.

Words of wisdom would be appreciated

Draper
Old 25-08-09, 08:30 PM   #2
Draper

Default Re: Post accident, advice on selling SV?

oh i also smashed the bit of metal for the steering lock so thats off to be welded which is gonna cost up to 50 quid
Old 25-08-09, 08:54 PM   #3
husky03
Mega Poster

headlights 100 quid, just need to wait for them coming up
mount-25 quid
fairing panel 50 quid

all from ebay mate
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-09, 08:51 PM   #4
Draper

hmm that sounds pretty good, is the bike more sellable if its faired as standard rather than streetfighter then?
Old 26-08-09, 09:13 PM   #5
Welsh_Wizard

Sorry to hear about your off mate.. Sell the bike as quick as possible and buy mine off me to repair your heart.
Old 26-08-09, 11:54 PM   #6
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
hmm that sounds pretty good, is the bike more sellable if its faired as standard rather than streetfighter then?
yes as i as many look at street fightered bikes as cheep crashed repaired jobs like you intend to do fix it to standard for under 200 if poss if not sell as is
Old 27-08-09, 11:07 AM   #7
Lucas66

repair it mate i have just repaired mine after a 60mph crash. As for fairings get some fibreglass bridginh compound and reapir and re spray. heres before and after shots.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...s07/111257.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...s07/175420.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...s07/175642.jpg
Old 27-08-09, 04:07 PM   #8
Sosha

Gaffer tape/ Plastic welding/ Crowbar & Keep the bike - Cages cost a fortune...