SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-06-10, 08:16 PM   #31
Bri w

Default Re: Gym/running advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberrrrt View Post
Right then, no intentions of insulting anyone, but some of the advice on here is fairly appalling.

Again, I don't mean to offend people, but you shouldn't offer advice if you're not 100% sure yourself.
+1.

Join a gym, and talk to the professionally trained instructors.

I dare say there are any number of us on here who've been, or are, pretty fit. And maybe some of us have been trained to a pretty high level, and competed at a high level BUT being trained and being trained to train are two vastly different things.

P.S. I'm a relatively old fat cripple but in a past life have trained, and competed, at a decent level but I wouldn't dream of giving any other advice other than get a professional for the advice you need.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 06:54 AM   #32
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi View Post
When on the machines work at cardio rate not fat burning rate - the machines should show your HR. If you are 24 then you should be training at around 135 - 157 (HR- heart rate reading) Its all well and good getting toned up and getting your muscles a lot stronger but dont forget you heart is the most important muscle of all...
I thought that you needed to know your resting heart rate as well as your max heart rate to work out the different zones for fat burn etc:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/genera...asics/176.html

Also, it's worth mentioning that it's very difficult to measure heart rate on a treadmill unless you wear a HRM.
Old 03-06-10, 08:11 AM   #33
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
+1.

Join a gym, and talk to the professionally trained instructors.

I dare say there are any number of us on here who've been, or are, pretty fit. And maybe some of us have been trained to a pretty high level, and competed at a high level BUT being trained and being trained to train are two vastly different things.

P.S. I'm a relatively old fat cripple but in a past life have trained, and competed, at a decent level but I wouldn't dream of giving any other advice other than get a professional for the advice you need.
All PT at gyms are is people with some experiance and a piece of paper aying they can teach.

There are people i would far rather listen to including myself from 12years of training than half of the PT i have come across.
Old 03-06-10, 08:11 AM   #34
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
I thought that you needed to know your resting heart rate as well as your max heart rate to work out the different zones for fat burn etc:

Also, it's worth mentioning that it's very difficult to measure heart rate on a treadmill unless you wear a HRM.
You are totally correct Sarah.

Normally I rate this forum but to be honest the advice in this thread is bordering on total bull....if the aim is to lose weight as I understood.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 09:52 AM   #35
Welsh_Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
All PT at gyms are is people with some experiance and a piece of paper aying they can teach.

There are people i would far rather listen to including myself from 12years of training than half of the PT i have come across.
You love those sweeping statements dont you

I can only assume that you make them to get a reaction.

Of the 3 PT's I have used over the last few years, one is a Welsh Under 21's capped rugby player and currently is signed to a Guiness Premiership team (albeit not first team)

..the other is a GB rep' on the Triathlon squad.

the final guy granted had one of those package deals from a PT company but needless to say he knew a lot more than me and whilst I concentrated on the sweating aspect, he concentrated on the planning aspect.

Hopefully the original OP gets what he wants from all this banter and that is 'no one on here is qualified to assess YOU therefore either do it yourself or seek pro' advice (face to face)'
Old 03-06-10, 11:58 AM   #36
muddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post

Yup thats true - thats why I said its only an average rate - because it all depends on how fit etc he is to what his resting heart rate is..

He needs to see a personal trainer who will devise a programme just for him, which will take into account his fitness level at the moment and what his goals are.. Plus any health history which could affect types of training he does - which we dont know about on here - hence nobody can give him advice really.. Unless they know him, and are trained properly in this field.

Like someone says - you may be a great runner etc etc and know how to train yourself but it doesn't mean you know how to train someone else.

See the professionals mate -best way forward!
Old 03-06-10, 12:15 PM   #37
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Wizard View Post
You love those sweeping statements dont you

I can only assume that you make them to get a reaction.

Of the 3 PT's I have used over the last few years, one is a Welsh Under 21's capped rugby player and currently is signed to a Guiness Premiership team (albeit not first team)

..the other is a GB rep' on the Triathlon squad.

the final guy granted had one of those package deals from a PT company but needless to say he knew a lot more than me and whilst I concentrated on the sweating aspect, he concentrated on the planning aspect.

Hopefully the original OP gets what he wants from all this banter and that is 'no one on here is qualified to assess YOU therefore either do it yourself or seek pro' advice (face to face)'
Mmmm, good job I used an instructor... "your heart rate is way too high for your general level of fitness and weight." Leaky mitral valve.

Like I said, use an expert. Less chance of injury, more chance of a focused exercise regime. And you never know, it might just highlight something before it becomes a serious health issue...

*Saints preserve us from well intentioned amatuers*

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 08:58 AM   #38
Noble Ox

Have'nt been on here for ages guys....

My comment about running at the gym is a waste - Didnt mean to translate to: 'running at the gym is useless and has no affect'

I purely meant it's a waste of 'Gym time'. I.e it adds half an hour/an hour to your time in the Gym. Which, for me, usually means I do less weight training.

Plus it's so much more enjoyable to do it outdoors.

...serious misunderstanding here!!!

And I agree with the 'get some preofessional advice'. I go to the gym and have about 8% body fat, and was just offering my advice, as it clearly works for me.

BUT saying that, it could just be because I'm pretty young, and I'm doing it all wrong!!

Last edited by Noble Ox; 07-06-10 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-06-10, 09:04 AM   #39
Noble Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Ox View Post
+1 on the dont run in Gym, it's a waste. The only cardio I do is swimming in the gym for obvious reasons.

My cycling mate and I have discovered some absolute beautifull places. Off footpaths/canals/B-roads. Really enjoyable - thats the best way to train. As we enjoy it we will be out for hours on a Saturday

Seriously, reading this back, I don't know how you could think I meant running and cycling at the gym is pointless and has no affect!!! Am I crap at writing or something? That's clearly me saying that when I do cardio outside of the gym I tend to do it for longer and get much more enjoyment out of it. Jeeez! Some people ey!

Oh well