SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-05, 10:34 PM   #1
Sudoxe

Default Quick euro trip

Im at a bit of a loose end and fancy a trip. A few days (up to 5) in europe maybe.

I know its going to be cold and wet this time of year, but any suggestions?

Thought about london - bruges then either germany, the netherlands or luxembourge.

Taking a few days here and there, not too many miles at once. Other than that its down to the south of france/spain which is a fair bit further. 1000 - 1500 miles each way!

any suggestions?

Dan
Old 16-01-05, 11:57 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Im busy next week

Try France, maybe a trip to the alps and back.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-05, 09:30 AM   #3
Mr Toad

Hi Dan
should be lots of offers about at this time of the year
for a cheap ferry from Dover, try www.speedferries.com, I've always found these to be good

For a bit more of an adventure, try the Brittany Ferries route from Plymouth to Santander, should be around the £200 mark or less for one way, and then come back via the Pyrenees, etc
Old 17-01-05, 09:48 AM   #4
Sudoxe

blimey!
The leshuttle is 50quid return for a bike at the moment!

Dan
Old 17-01-05, 10:21 AM   #5
Jelster

Dan,

Speaking from experience, running into Europe is great fun but watch the miles and weather. Doing 350-400 mile days in poor weather is hard work. Last year we came back from Besancon to Calais (400 plus miles) through 10 hours of rain.

Personally I would either keep to the Arden (Belgium, France Luxembourg) or take a trip around the Loire Valley area. Alternatively what you could do is get the Motorail from Calais to take you to the South coast overnight, spend a couple of days there, and make your way back up.

Old 17-01-05, 10:46 AM   #6
Anonymous

He's right you know! And at this time of year it can be even grimmer on the continent when the waether is crap than here. And bloody cold as you go further south in France.
If it were me I would plan not too many miles and some decent towns to visit and sites to see in case the weather is too rubbish for riding. The Belgium idea is good (although unsure about how much fun the roads are) as you could do Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp etc all very easily which have enough to do and nice bars to hole up in if its wet.
Along the top of France to St Malo and back might be nice, or pos too far from your end of things.
Old 17-01-05, 11:32 AM   #7
MavUK

If you go to Brugges then be very careful of the roads. pot holes is a bit of an understatement on the main roads there...

If you do decide to come to Holland let me know - I can recommend a place for food / drink in Haarlem (about 20 mins from Amsterdam).

Stu
Old 17-01-05, 12:22 PM   #8
aej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
The Belgium idea is good (although unsure about how much fun the roads are)
The Ardennes region is virtually an extension of the Eifel mountains which is where the 'Ring is - very good roads indeed.
Old 21-01-05, 09:51 AM   #9
rubbermat

I got the same wanderlust last year and went to the Apls.

I wrote it up... Click here to read it