SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-07, 10:55 AM   #1
rich_r

Default Moving on to IL4 - Change in Riding style?

Hi all

Maybe this has been done to death before but i cant see my exact answer! (please post threads that may be of help!)

Now to the question, i've had my SV 8 months now and covered nearly 7000 miles in that time, (the delights or working from home!) and i've really got used to the bike. Now i use engine breaking quite alot, especially before corners.

I've been thinkin about a buying a new bike and i'd like to try a IL4 for a change (CBR600rr is top of the list), but do i need to dramatically change my riding style as noted above to for IL4 bikes? Guess the answer is yes, but would love to hear from those who have moved onto IL4's and how you've adapted.

Cheers
Old 14-06-07, 11:05 AM   #2
stuartyboy

Default Re: Moving on to IL4 - Change in Riding style?

I would say a resounding yes. The engine breaking was the biggest thing I noticed when I changed. And you're up and down the gearbox a lot more.

I was out with the Eccosse posse at the weekend and I forgot how intersting it was following a twin. Hang well back....
Old 14-06-07, 11:07 AM   #3
Jelster

No, but it will seem strange for the first week or so.

Lack of engine braking and the fact that you're not used to revving the engine either.

If you opt for a modern SS600, you'll also find immense difference in cornering. Faster, sharper, lighter, easier. There is a tendency to turn in too quick until you get used to it.. Oh, and watch the brakes, they're rather good as well

So you're style won't have to change, just make adjustments according to the hardware..

Old 14-06-07, 11:09 AM   #4
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartyboy View Post
I would say a resounding yes. The engine breaking was the biggest thing I noticed when I changed. And you're up and down the gearbox a lot more.

I was out with the Eccosse posse at the weekend and I forgot how intersting it was following a twin. Hang well back....
+1 about the lack of engine braking, doesn't take long to get used to it though. the changing gear thing depends a lot on what il4 you get, the z1000 is pretty versatile. the other thing that is different is where the power lies in the revs
Old 14-06-07, 11:22 AM   #5
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
+1 about the lack of engine braking, doesn't take long to get used to it though. the changing gear thing depends a lot on what il4 you get, the z1000 is pretty versatile. the other thing that is different is where the power lies in the revs
Agreed. Forgot about Thou's. I have a cbr600f and a zx-6r j2. I'm up and down the box a lot but I like that. Mike my mate is less so on his 600f. Interestingly we take the same road home - about 6 mile twisty. I'm ragging it in 2nd 3rd 4th 5th all the way where as he's 3rd 4th.

I see you're thinking about the 600rr. IMO it's just a waste unless you are completely boiling the thing or spend all your time on track. I have the benefit of having the manager of the local Honda deaalers as a mate.He told me that most people are very disappointed in coming from a 600f to an rr. Just too uncomfortable and too much like hard work for our roads. On track though - different story.
Old 14-06-07, 11:59 AM   #6
gettin2dizzy

New rr is pretty torquey though. You could never call it 'lacking'. As for engine braking (sorry- had too ) there is a difference but it's nothing that's going to catch you out at all. However the brakes on ss bikes are phenomenal!
Old 14-06-07, 01:54 PM   #7
kwak zzr

i wont keep going on but i did the reverse i went from many IL4 bikes to the sv and remember posting threads on here a few years ago saying that the sv disappointed me little did i know it took me months of riding the 650 to actually get used to using the power of the lil v twin, one thing i noticed straight away tho was how my new k3 went around corners? it handled as well as my 98 cbr600f? think what you like but i could corner faster on the lil 650, maybe the 13k on the cbr shocks and the 0 miles on the sv shocks had something to do with it. in answer to the thread title "its all revs and gear change" good bikes tho the 600ss but i dont think i will ever own another.
Old 14-06-07, 01:55 PM   #8
DanAbnormal

Never felt that I missed the engine braking tbh, you'll use the revs a lot more and probably use less gears. Within a week or so of solid riding you'll feel right at home (on a proper bike )
Old 14-06-07, 01:58 PM   #9
plowsie

Went on my mates SRAD in Bham the other day to enlighten my thoughts towards them and whether to get one as next bike. The engine braking was the main problem for me to get used to, like others say gearing can be a bit different.
Old 14-06-07, 02:01 PM   #10
kwak zzr

it is nice to thrash a IL4 ss bike up to 16,000 rpm and the noise from the race cans still stands the hair up on the back of my neck but for me it was abit manic.