SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-08-23, 06:12 PM   #11031
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Yes, the dog crap being bagged and then left infuriates me. In town and built up areas, it needs bagging and binning. Out here, away from the town, either bag and bin or stick and flick as long as there is somewhere suitable to do that.
There was a bin 15ft away.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-23, 06:18 PM   #11032
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
There was a bin 15ft away.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Dirty, idle gits.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-23, 08:49 PM   #11033
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You know those days you should have just stayed at home?

Thought I'd go for a little evening ride tonight and take the long way to the shop. Turns out I had to take the very long way, then double back on myself because the dual carrigeway is shut in various locations for a cycle event tomorrow. No warning signs or information just completely shut.

While I was doubling back to the shop via country roads, I lifted the front end going over a little hill, shut the throttle and the bike landed quite harshly. Stupid me.

Didn't think too much more of it, but then the bike started cornering weird. I started panicking thinking there's no way I've buckled the front wheel, or knackered the headstock bearings with 1 wheelie! Wheel looked straight, nothing unusual. Headstock felt fine. Checked the shocks, the yokes. Bolts all tight. What else could it be!

I'm just being paranoid because of that wheelie, it feels fine now. So went to the shop, left and as I was pulling out of a junction the back wheel skipped a little. Must be a little gravel. Then the steering started going all over the place. Pulled over and it finally clicked...

Relief! The front end was ok! And there is a petrol station at the shop 50 yards away. So I hobble in to the air pump thinking I'll just top it up quickly to get me home. I pay for the air and of course it won't even start pumping because the tyre is completely flat now.

So hazards on and hobble back to the house about 1 mile.
As I'm riding home at 20mph with my hazards on, a car passes me and puts his hazards on as if to let me know I have mine on. Yeh... thanks, there is a reason they are on!

Tyre was a bit hot but seems ok. I put the bike on the paddock stand and put a little air in to get the tyre back in shape.

Whatever it was is gone now. And at least it is a fixable part of the tyre.

DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-23, 09:24 PM   #11034
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Not a good trip Darren! Glad the tyre is fixable rather than scrap though.
Old 12-08-23, 11:21 AM   #11035
Seeker
Mega Poster

The houses 3 and 4 doors down from me have become short term rentals. At 4pm yesterday afternoon the party and bbq started with thumping bass line music. No problem so far. By 3:30am with the party still outside and the music still pumping (and my windows shut in my hot dormer bedroom), I reached my pain threshold. I tried yelling "turn it down" but couldn't yell loud enough to overcome the sound system. I called the police only to discover that: "Oh, we don't respond to noise complaints anymore". "Call the council". (They were kind enough to give me the phone number )
I called the council which, via an automated switchboard, referred me to their website which, in turn, told me that a singular noise event is not cause to make a complaint.
I recorded a video snippet at 4am for future use and (praise be) the music stopped at 4:30am. Yay! but resumed at 5am - I got up and had breakfast.
It quietened down by 6am but (none dance) music tried to resume at 8am when another neighbour yelled (and did say thank you when the music stopped).

The music lyrics were in a foreign language as was the loud conversation (to overcome the music). As for the girls giggling and yelling - I have no idea. The landlord advertises the place as perfect for contractors but I suspect these were not contractors.

I get even grumpier when sleep deprived.
Old 12-08-23, 12:06 PM   #11036
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I think I would have lost it and paid a visit with a napalm cannon.
Old 12-08-23, 02:37 PM   #11037
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I think I would have lost it and paid a visit with a napalm cannon.
Me too. Very selfish.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 13-08-23, 11:23 AM   #11038
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Can you find which platform they are listed on make a complaint that way? Defo pursue via the council further though, and get your neighbours to do the same. If they get a slew of complaints they're less likely to ignore you.

Hope you don't get a repeat!
Old 13-08-23, 12:43 PM   #11039
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Can you find which platform they are listed on make a complaint that way? Defo pursue via the council further though, and get your neighbours to do the same. If they get a slew of complaints they're less likely to ignore you.

Hope you don't get a repeat!

I got a reply today from the landlord (myshortlets.co.uk) who agreed the tenant's behaviour was unacceptable and that they, the tenants, were contacted and they apologised for their behaviour. Joanna (landlord rep) also apologised and said they wouldn't let to these people again. They were due to leave today (it was quiet last night).

The house adjacent to the rental property has just sold and I don't think the new owners realise they are moving in next door to a short term rental property. The street was known to be quiet and is popular for retirees.

I was surprised by how little official recourse there seems to be in this situation, it is up to you to trace the landlord and gather evidence before the council can even be approached. Maybe it's always been like this but I remember my Dad making a hard standing for his caravan at the front of the house many years ago (different property, a detached house same town) and one person complained and he quickly got a letter from the council telling him the caravan had to be moved.

Edit: Postscript - I just had a visit from the local rep for the property who also apologised and gave me her phone number in case there is another event (she hoped there wouldn't be). She bribed me with a box of chocolates...

Last edited by Seeker; 13-08-23 at 04:03 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-23, 07:22 AM   #11040
Luckypants
Mega Poster

We need a 'Like' button for posts like this ^^^^
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote