SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-08, 11:52 PM   #1
DavieSV

Default Dunlop d208 tyre pressures

Hi all

Went for a little ride tonight in the guise of going to tesco
I havent check my tyre pressures for a few weeks so decided to do it tonight before the trip
I run dunlop d208's at 36/42 I was happy with them at that on dry tarmac in the summer after the d220's (then again anything was better).
The day before the hardy bikers ride out, I had to have a new front fitted. It rained a lot of the time on the way there (mostly motorway), so never really got it scrubed in. It left like it started to grip a bit more on the sunday. The roads were a bit too bumpy for my front end (85 springs, 20 wt oil & emulators) so I dropped the preload one notch. It has still felt a bit nervous but I have put this down to bad road conditions.
Any way, today I decided to drop the pressures to 33/36.
It felt so much more attached to the road, quite unbelivable. I've been riding on these slippy roads at a similar paice to what I have on dry roads.
I wish I had tried it in the summer.
I've obvoiusly got a bigger contact patch with the road, but i thought that I may feel the tyre giving a little more
Under HEAVY braking, It felt like the brakes would fade before the tyre let go
No nervousness on turn in
It still felt like I had had to straighten it up a little bit mid bend (I have lifted the forks 5mm in the yokes because of previous running wide) so might have to address this.
A lot less wheel spin under heavy acceleration but accelerating hard over white lines made the back 'squirm' a little more than usual
but overall, I'm pleased with the initial trial on damp roads.
I like the d208's but I think I may try something with a longer life after the next rear. I got about 4500 out of the front, not sure about the back yet as punctures have made me change them before there time.
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote