SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-08, 08:55 AM   #1
Toby

Default Bikers protest against fuel prices

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7437144.stm

Check out the link, for anyone who didn't see it on the news, hundreds of bikers in a go slow protest over fuel this morning. If only I'd known about this one in advance!
Old 05-06-08, 08:58 AM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: Bikers protest against fuel prices

Hmm, this actually annoys me. It won't do a thing to change the oil prices, yet it causes disruption to many thousands of motorists. Find a better way to demonstrate.
Old 05-06-08, 09:04 AM   #3
Stig

A total waste of time. As is boycotting certain fuel stations or everyone not buying fuel for a day, or any of the other schemes that have been thought up so far.
Old 05-06-08, 09:13 AM   #4
Baph

Toby,

There was an advanced notice of the fuel protest earlier this week, on this site, in the Idle Banter section.

If I'd of lived closer, or hadn't of had to work today, I'd of been there.
Old 05-06-08, 09:29 AM   #5
Toby

bapn, I'm still finding my way round the site at the moment, through the masses of boards! Must have missed that one.

I realise that it causes disruption to other motorists, and I realise that it probably won't change a thing, but I would have still considered going along to such a public protest, because as I'm sure you all well know, only about 30-35p of the £1.12 a litre it is now costing to fill up isn't tax. So the government COULD do something about it, if they so wished, or if they were so pressured.
Old 05-06-08, 09:50 AM   #6
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

£1.12? Where do you live? It's about £1.16 down here and I think I've seen it for about £1.19. I saw diesel for £132.9 the other day!!

Alex
Old 05-06-08, 09:41 PM   #7
Toby

Derby =) I think we're fairly close to the cheapest in the country, and I'm still whinging at the price!
Old 06-06-08, 05:39 AM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

Same as Baph, if I wasn't working, I would have been there. I dont think it is just the tax. At Morrisons in Crewe unleaded was £1.17.9 a litre yesterday. 4 miles down the road at Morrisons in Nantwich it is £1.13.9. How do they work that one out? That's 20p a gallon less within the space of 4 miles, from the same supplier.
It now costs me nearly £1500 a year to get to work. In January that figure was nearer £1000, something needs to be done & if speaking out, or making a public spectacle might help, then I'm all for it
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 09:07 AM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiwbina_Squirrel View Post
I saw diesel for £132.9 the other day!!
You sure
Old 06-06-08, 10:24 AM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Hmm, this actually annoys me. It won't do a thing to change the oil prices, yet it causes disruption to many thousands of motorists. Find a better way to demonstrate.
I'm sure it wasn't a protest against the oil price, but all the taxes levied on fuel. Which the Government could easily do something about if they chose to realise that fuel cannot be the cash cow it once was forever.
Fuel is a basic necessity for the country to function and the govt. have plenty of scope to reduce the taxation that would still maintain their previous income. They need to do something far greater than just abolish the forth coming 2p increase seeing as prices have risen at least 20ppl very recently.

I think it is quite something for bikers to have led this protest as fuel is not generally seen as a large cost to a biker. So hopefully it might have made some difference.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote