SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-06-08, 11:38 PM   #1
anna
Mega Poster

Angry Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rant

Okay so I've just had to turn down a fantastic opportunity of working for the Foo Fighters this weekend because I'm doing a work experience placement... the kind of thing that you dont get paid for but have to do because it's a college commitment.

As you can imagine I'm feeling a tiny bit bitter about it and wonder if being the nice guy and keeping your word/commitment is actually beneficial to anyone as everyone else thinks I should just let them down and do the Foo Fighters gig....

Anyone else had to turn down fantastic opportunities due to other commitments????
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 05:08 AM   #2
Camel

Default Re: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rant

I guess it depends on a combo of what you have committed to do / who you will let down v. what you would be doing at Wembley. Any more details?

Unless you are already realy regretting not going to Wembley.....then maybe you should go. Once in a lifetime opportunity and all that!
Old 06-06-08, 05:35 AM   #3
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
I guess it depends on a combo of what you have committed to do / who you will let down v. what you would be doing at Wembley. Any more details?

Unless you are already realy regretting not going to Wembley.....then maybe you should go. Once in a lifetime opportunity and all that!
+1 , lifes too short, just do it
Old 06-06-08, 06:50 AM   #4
Fizzy Fish

go on, break off those college chains and be goddam rock instead!
Old 06-06-08, 06:51 AM   #5
K

Explain to your college placement and I'm sure (Ok, hopefully) they would understand and allow you to re-schedule - if that's possible.
For the line of work you want to be in connections and 'networking' is vital, so missing an opportunity like this would be a 'bad' thing...

... and think of your CV. Doing the Foo Fighters gig can only be considered a 'good' thing in terms of your planned career - your college should support that.

OK - that's the rational stuff over with - I used to stage crew for Reading & Phoenix Festivals for about 5 years - it was awesome. Do it.
Rationality be damned - do it.
It's the Foo Fighters - do it.
Old 06-06-08, 07:12 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Erm sicky?!? surely?

My neighbours went down south last night for this.
Old 06-06-08, 07:24 AM   #7
Alpinestarhero

smeg it, do the foo fighters gig. It would be excellent experiance working for an internationally reknowned rock band trying to put together a huge show for tens of thousands of adoring fans - possibly more than this other work experiance you are doing?

Oh, and if you ever gt the chance to work with metallica, i wanna tag along. Infact, I will beg you to let me tag along.
Old 06-06-08, 08:20 AM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Do it Anna

Stuff the placement as said this is a CV defining moment.

PS Got any spare backstage passes?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:20 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Okay so I've just had to turn down a fantastic opportunity of working for the Foo Fighters this weekend because I'm doing a work experience placement... the kind of thing that you dont get paid for but have to do because it's a college commitment.

As you can imagine I'm feeling a tiny bit bitter about it and wonder if being the nice guy and keeping your word/commitment is actually beneficial to anyone as everyone else thinks I should just let them down and do the Foo Fighters gig....

Anyone else had to turn down fantastic opportunities due to other commitments????
I tuned down the chance of being an international playboy for a job with Xerox.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:27 AM   #10
stewie

When I was in Germany in the 80,s I used to go gliding at weekends and in 1981 I was asked by the then world gliding champion, sqn ldr George Lee, to be his crew chief for his upcoming attempt at defending his world title at Paderborn, unfortunately my parents were coming over for a visit and I had to turn him down, its one of the biggest regrets of my life, do it Anna, lifes too short you know, he won by the way.