SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 24-10-10, 08:22 PM   #1
elsie350

Default Dunlop tyres

Having just got my SV650S 2003 I've a question about the tyres. From what I can gather the Dunlop D220 Sportmax front and back are standard. I'm anxious about riding the bike - not helped much by the twitchiness and lack of confidence cornering. The back tyre looks good but the front is worn. I was thinking of fitting a Dunlop Qualifier D209 or D207 FE to replace the front. Are they any good or is it better to dig a little deeper for the Roadsmart?
Old 24-10-10, 10:25 PM   #2
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dunlop tyres

I think the general consensus for good wearing and confident tyres is Avon Storm Ultra 2 or Michelin Pilot Road CT2's. I plan on some Ultra 2's soon after I've gotten through the winter on the stock tyres which came with mine (D220's).
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-10, 10:35 PM   #3
svrich

Just fitted the roadsmarts and will let you know how they are after they are scrubbed in.
Old 25-10-10, 05:24 PM   #4
CSpronken

Sportmarts seemed to be favourably reviewed by mags and users as well. Haven't seen much comment on those here though.
'02 (Curvy), yellow, Sport Smart, mods: progressive fork springs, '03-04 ZX-6RR rear shock, Li-ion battery, Leovince slip-on, Powerbronze airflow double bubble, flush front indicators, bike-it integrated LED rear. SRAD front end conversion on going.
CSpronken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-10, 08:06 PM   #5
elsie350

Thanks for the replies guys. Is it ok to mix tyres? As there's loads left on the standard rear (not keen to change it just yet) would it mess things up if I put a different make / model on the front especially something stickier?
Old 27-10-10, 04:46 PM   #6
elsie350

A little less anxious now - bike now able to go around corners. Nowhere near MotoGP style but a lot less scary than before. I checked the tyre pressures and found that I had ridden it from Cheltenham to Gloucester with 17psi in the front and 19psi in the back. Not sure why the previous owner had it like that let alone managed to ride it suffice to say that now it has 33/36psi it's alot better. Don't laugh too much! Still intend to change the front as it's almost down to 1mm in the centre of the tyre. Options Dunlop 120/60R17 55W DU QUAL D209 £65, Dunlop 120/60R17 55W DU D207FE £67, Michelin 120/60R17 MI PIL ROAD 55W(F) £73 or Michelin 120/60R17 MI PIL PWR 55W(F)TLO £79. All prices fully fitted. What do you reckon?
Old 27-10-10, 06:10 PM   #7
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

If you're still gonna run with a dunlop 220 rear then I think it should be a matching dunlop front...but there are others who will know a lot more about this than me...

I'll be interested to know what others think because I'll be in your shoes for the first time soon as I have those tyres on my bike and am likely to want to replace the front before the rear....although I suspect I'll just change both so I can get some Storm Ultra or CT2's....

Last edited by kaivalagi; 27-10-10 at 06:11 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-10, 12:02 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The Dunlops were on my newer VFR, while the older one had almost new Storms. The Dunlops have less out right grip than the Avons, but to be honest not so you'd notice in normal road riding. I went out in the wet the other day and had no problem staying with a qualified Police rider on his Tiger shod with Avon Storms, didn't even have a twitch despite enjoying the north Wales roads.

Depends on your budget, but I'd happily stick on a matching front in your position. Else if you want to, stick on another pattern Dunlop, the profile will match your rear well enough. If you can afford to and want to, replace both together if you want to change to a different brand. Whatever you end up doing, try to make sure the new front is at least as grippy as the rear, since it never ends well if the front slides before the rear
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-10, 05:35 PM   #9
elsie350

Many thanks for the feedback. Spoke to Pro Tyre @Gloucester and seems sticking with Dunlop would be the way forward. The Roadsmart was a good tyre for the grip and longer life but after explaining that I generally dont do loads of mileage that the D209 would be better - lower cost, stickier being a sport tyre. Will let you know how I get on.