SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-07, 09:37 AM   #1
DanDare

Default Helmets off at Petrol Stations

Can't remember if this has been mentioned before or not.

Got a ticking off from a petrol station attendant this morning for wearing my helmet when coming in to pay. They said there's a sign by the door.

When I looked it gets obscurred when the automatic door slides open.

I can see there's some point somewhere, though exactly what I'm not sure.

Do they have a right to tell you to take it off?? I know its easy and simple but its slightly miffed me as its another someone telling me what I can and can't do.

Would they tell a muslim lady to remove her head scalf..... I think not.

What's everyone else's understanding on this matter???
Old 17-05-07, 09:42 AM   #2
MiniMatt

Default Re: Helmets off at Petrol Stations

Bloody ridiculous that, I always ignore those signs and have never been asked to remove, if I did I can guarantee not going to that garage ever again. I mean, they've already got your numberplate on CCTV, you've just spent two minutes filling up - are you really then going to pull out a sawn-off and grab the money??

Plus it just means you're going to spend twice as much time blocking their pumps with a queue forming up the high street as you get all your gear back on.
Old 17-05-07, 09:47 AM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

This has been covered before, I'm sure. FWIW I always take off my helmet when paying for stuff (petrol included) because I think it is nicer to speak to people face to face. It takes about 30 seconds to take off or put on your lid, worth a little effort to be a bit more friendly / polite IMHO
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-07, 09:49 AM   #4
Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
This has been covered before, I'm sure. FWIW I always take off my helmet when paying for stuff (petrol included) because I think it is nicer to speak to people face to face. It takes about 30 seconds to take off or put on your lid, worth a little effort to be a bit more friendly / polite IMHO
nice idea lp, but in truth, most of them cant be ars*d talking to you anyway. I used to feel the same, but in recent experience it isnt worth the hassle, keep the lid on, stuff them !
Old 17-05-07, 09:50 AM   #5
MiniMatt

Takes a bit longer with specs on though Plus there's bugger all chance I could chat up the fit attendant if I took my lid off, wheras currently she goes all fluttery whenever I wak in
Old 17-05-07, 09:50 AM   #6
Baph

This is a serious grey area, and has been brought up a couple of times on the org that I know of.

On the one hand, for some bikers (especially those wearing glasses - even just sun glasses), it's a major inconvience to remove a helmet. In winter this is worse, because it means removing gloves (usually) to remove/put back on the helmet. This also has a knock on effect of delaying (and probably annoying) the car driver queueing up to get petrol after you.

On the other hand, we have the fact that some people may well feel pretty intimidated by someone with their face covered approaching a sales counter. Petrol stations are infamous for robberies, and generally, you have to show your face so that the CCTV can get a picture of you for security reasons (My local Morrisons makes me chuckle though, they have CCTV that reads your licence place, apparently - forward facing ). This is compounded by the fact that there are laws to prevent people feeling intimidated in their workplace, but on the whole, generally, petrol stations allow bike helmets. Some don't, and some it depends on who's behind the till when you walk in.

Personally, it depends if I'm in a rush, what the weather is like, what mood I'm in, and what lid I'm wearing. Even just wearing my Justissimo (front flip) I generally just open the visor. If someone get's iffy about it, or I can see them visibly worried, I'll lift the flip-up chin. If I'm wearing my Classico (standard full face) generally it stays on, unless the petrol station is quiet & I'm out on a bimble (taking my time).

On a slight tangent to this, the most annoying time I've had in a petrol station, was when I was informed that I must be off the bike, and the bike on it's side stand in order for the muppet behind the till to turn on the fuel pump. Apparently this was company policy. Funny that, as the other petrol station I use which is the same company, couldn't give a flying rats... if I was doing a handstand on the bike whilst filling up!! Needless to say, I haven't been back to one of those 2 petrol stations, and I generally avoid the company where possible.

EDIT: BTW, in the last thread raised on this subject, I was saying that I always remove it, now I just can't be bothered half the time. Possibly why Luckypants thinks I could be Stig!

Last edited by Baph; 17-05-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 17-05-07, 09:53 AM   #7
sarah

one of the bike mags ran an article about some petrol stations refusing to let bikers fill up with petrol until they removed their helmet, one of the problems being that there isn't anywhere safe and clean to put your helmet whilst filling up. i'll see if i can find it.
Old 17-05-07, 09:54 AM   #8
Razor

If I'd already filled up and then they told me to take my helmet off, before I could pay them does this mean they won't take my money?
Ignore them if they let you fill up. Just smile and hand them the cash. Look them in the eye so they can see you're smiling. Never let the bastids grind you down!
Old 17-05-07, 09:55 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I just go through the pay at pump lane, much quicker.

If I'm going in I take my lid off, I dont see what the problem is.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-07, 09:58 AM   #10
Kinvig

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...station+helmet

Never take it off. As soon as I pour petrol into my tank that is a contract with them. I have, "negotiated" away any rights they have to ask me to remove my lid.

If they'd turned the pump off before I started to pour then fair enough - they've negotiated also.