SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-02-09, 02:29 PM   #1
melody

Default MOT Failure

My car has failed its MOT for two things

1) Rear exhaust has a mounting bracket that does not fully supply the exhaust system. £90

2) Lower power steering pipe/hose is leaking £280

I had my car serviced a couple of months ago, a full service. Surely, these problems should have been picked up at the time ?

And,

Last year my car failed its MOT because of the rear exhaust. So I had it replaced for just shy of £350, so if the mounting bracket is not efficient, surely its their fault since they supplied and fitted the exhaust system?

My poor Jynx is a failure. Twice.
Old 19-02-09, 02:34 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: MOT Failure

modern car service =

change oil + filter

plug in the on board diagnostic machine

no error codes

make a cup of tea

check nothing too important has fallen off

wait 2 hours to phone customer to say it's ready

bend customer over metal desk to extract payment

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-09, 02:35 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post

1) Rear exhaust has a mounting bracket that does not fully supply the exhaust system. £90

I had my car serviced a couple of months ago, a full service. Surely, these problems should have been picked up at the time ?

And,

Last year my car failed its MOT because of the rear exhaust. So I had it replaced for just shy of £350, so if the mounting bracket is not efficient, surely its their fault since they supplied and fitted the exhaust system?

Is this at thesame garage? Surely they're not trying it on.
Not sure about the leaky powersteering
Old 19-02-09, 02:41 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:

And,

Mel

Most Exhausts carry a 12 month warranty, and some, like Kwik Fit, carry a 2 year warranty, so get it back to who fitted it sharp.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-09, 02:48 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:

<snip>

And,

Begs the question, did the exhaust pass the MOT with the mounting bracket now fitted? If so, whoever fitted the exhaust should rectify this under warranty IMHO. If the exhaust was replaced by the same garage as just failed it, take the receipt and previous MOT and demand to know why it passed last year and not this. If they say it has deteriorated, get them to fix it at their expense, a £350 exhaust should last a LOT longer than 12 months.

Quote:

Sounds a lot for a pipe! get them to explain why it is so much, what parts are being replaced etc. Then ring a few places for prices to get a comparison. If it is more than just a pipe, have them justify why it is more than just a pipe.

There was an item on Watchdog this week about Mini power steering failures, might be worth a look on their website to see if BMW are doing anything on this issue, like reduced rates to have rectified or even a recall?

On a lighter note, it is good that it was found because apparently the Mini is almost impossible to steer without power steering. You need to be built like a powerlifter to turn the wheel without it.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-09, 02:51 PM   #6
melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Is this at thesame garage? Surely they're not trying it on.
Not sure about the leaky powersteering
Yep. Same garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Mel

Most Exhausts carry a 12 month warranty, and some, like Kwik Fit, carry a 2 year warranty, so get it back to who fitted it sharp.
Thanks Viney. Will dig up my paper work from last year to prove they supplied and fitted the exhaust system in the first place.
Old 19-02-09, 03:02 PM   #7
melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Begs the question, did the exhaust pass the MOT with the mounting bracket now fitted? If so, whoever fitted the exhaust should rectify this under warranty IMHO. If the exhaust was replaced by the same garage as just failed it, take the receipt and previous MOT and demand to know why it passed last year and not this. If they say it has deteriorated, get them to fix it at their expense, a £350 exhaust should last a LOT longer than 12 months.

Last year I was told they would supply and fit a complete new exhaust system so I imagine that would include the mounting bracket

Sounds a lot for a pipe! get them to explain why it is so much, what parts are being replaced etc. Then ring a few places for prices to get a comparison. If it is more than just a pipe, have them justify why it is more than just a pipe.

I will definitely be ringing around.

There was an item on Watchdog this week about Mini power steering failures, might be worth a look on their website to see if BMW are doing anything on this issue, like reduced rates to have rectified or even a recall?

On a lighter note, it is good that it was found because apparently the Mini is almost impossible to steer without power steering. You need to be built like a powerlifter to turn the wheel without it.
Yes I have had first hand experience of this as I was trying to drive out of a car park. The power steering failed and it was absolutely impossible to move the car any further. But this was about 3 months after taking delivery of my car so it was still under warranty.
Old 19-02-09, 03:31 PM   #8
markmoto

as already said exhaust should last longer than a year for sure, power steering pipes can be expenssive it depends on what needs to be removed to fit it (sometimes alot) can be very time consuming/labour intensive, id definately get that exhaust sorted under warranty and get a second opinion on the power steering leak.
Old 19-02-09, 03:32 PM   #9
markmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
modern car service =

change oil + filter

plug in the on board diagnostic machine

no error codes

make a cup of tea

check nothing too important has fallen off

wait 2 hours to phone customer to say it's ready

Sounds about right for a main stealers apart from the plug it in the diagnoastic machine bit that never happens...
Old 19-02-09, 03:36 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post

maybe its time for this customer to put said mechanics balls in metal desk drawer and firmly slam it shut on them

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote