SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-16, 07:48 PM   #1
DomP

Default Sv 12v and usb socket

Ive read a fair bit on here about fitting power outlets but just need a bit of guidance. I want to add a 12v socket and a usb socket to charge my phone but also a place to hook the battery up to something like an optimate.

Ideally one of Bibs gizmos would be the answer but dont think hes doing them any more so how would be the most compact method? Think id have the 12v on the front fairing everything else under the rear seat cowl unless a weather proof usb socket can be got.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 06:41 AM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv 12v and usb socket

On my BMW i use this https://shop.touratech.co.uk/tps-15-...is-switch.html

All you need is a trigger wire to turn the device on/off with the ignition circuit (tapping into the side light should be fine). Means all your devices turn off with the bike, which means no chance of a flat battery.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 06:35 PM   #3
DomP

Thanks for the link daddyjob, i was hoping to do a bit of a cheaper diy job so i might just stick to a 12v socket from ebay for now. Can always use a 12v to usb adapter if i need to.

For an optimate i presume i wouldnt want the 12v socket on a switched live?
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 06:47 PM   #4
nathcarr

I've used a 12v Oxford dual usb on mine mate totally weather proof and just hooks to the battery with an inline fuse only thing I've had to do is wire in a little on off switch on the live wire so I can cut the current out works a treat and was only 20 quid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-16, 08:24 AM   #5
AlexAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Thanks for the link daddyjob, i was hoping to do a bit of a cheaper diy job so i might just stick to a 12v socket from ebay for now. Can always use a 12v to usb adapter if i need to.

For an optimate i presume i wouldnt want the 12v socket on a switched live?
The optimate would connect directly to the battery terminals, you can leave the plug floating under the rear seat.
Old 30-08-17, 03:37 PM   #6
srj999

Two years down the line and I've posted an almost identical question. Sorry about that. I was hoping there might be a way to cut into the ignition line so the unit would only be live when the key is in place. Looking at options now.
srj999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 06:29 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I had my Optimate tail direct to the battery with the connector poking out by the back of the seat for easy hookup. My satnav is taken from the switched live feed to the horn with an earth to a frame bracket. Not that elegant, nowhere near as smart as Bibs' gizmo, but it works fine.