SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-14, 02:28 AM   #301
Coderedpl

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
The adjustment won't be affected by a change of plugs. Doesn't do any harm to check of course.
Cool, thanks!
Coderedpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-14, 06:30 AM   #302
Corny Gizmo

OMO,

checked mine last night and found it to be reacting at around 4200 RPM, the bike is only 6-7 Months old, is this something that goes out of spec over time or is it something that just hasnt been set correctly from factory?

Also, do any of the services cover adjustment of TPS? I find it hard to believe that we are supposed to do this ourselves.

I have not adjusted it yet as I want to get the proper tool so I don't kill the bolts
Old 22-09-14, 07:30 AM   #303
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
checked mine last night and found it to be reacting at around 4200 RPM, the bike is only 6-7 Months old, is this something that goes out of spec over time or is it something that just hasnt been set correctly from factory?

Also, do any of the services cover adjustment of TPS? I find it hard to believe that we are supposed to do this ourselves.
The Suzuki service procedure just checks that the line is in the middle at idle, it doesn't check the threshold at which it moves up. I guess the same applies to the factory setup.

It will be prone to go out of spec with time since it's driven off the rear throttle body via a mechanical linkage. Will also change (I think) if the throttle bodies are balanced.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-14, 08:22 AM   #304
Corny Gizmo

Thanks for the info aesmith, I have got my 7.5K service on Friday so ill adjust the TPS after that incase they touch the throttle bodies etc.
Old 22-09-14, 11:58 PM   #305
Bibio
Mega Poster

they wont touch the TB's unless you specifically ask them to do a balance and even then nothing will be disturbed if they do. you can safely go ahead and set the TPS.

i have been testing out a new method over the past 2 years of setting the TPS just to make sure that no damage will occur. my new method is to set the TPS so the line just moves as you set it and when you tighten the bolt is settles in the middle. no turning the throttle to see what revs the TPS is kicking in at. this makes the TPS active the moment you turn the throttle and the result is complete lack of snatchyness but you get engine braking more along the lines of an inline 4 which makes for a very smooth bike.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-14, 07:53 AM   #306
Corny Gizmo

It sounds exactly what I was thinking Bibio, as it moves anyway when tightening up I planned to do exactly what you detailed above e.g over adjust to account for movement when tightening.

I'm excited to see if this reduces engine brake as much as you say, as I do a lot of two up riding (every day) having to iron the snatchyness and engine braking out with the clutch is getting tiresome

If I get chance tonight I'm doing it, I shall report back
Old 23-09-14, 11:11 AM   #307
Soapysoap

Just did this today after eventually finding my Dealer Mode plug (Thanks Corny).

Bike is a 2013 model and I thought it was my lack of finesse that made the bike "jerky". Mini roundabouts required constant slipping of the clutch.
After a ride out on my mates GSXR600 I found it so much easier to ride (even though I felt like a circus elephant on a tricycle). So my choices were to see if my SV could be made better or look at getting a different bike when I can afford it.
Followed the instructions and found warmed up and at idle it was on the bottom bar then swiftly moved to the middle bar about 1400rpm then went to the top bar at around 4500rpm.
Cracked off the tps torx screw then tapped the sensor anticlockwise. Managed to get to go down in about 700rpm increments. Tightened back up bar was then at the top at idle. Tapped back the other way and got the bar to move about 1350 rpm (idle at 1250). Boxed everything up and went out for a ride.

\Just got back and.......what a difference. Like people have said it seems a lot smoother. No slipping of clutch required. I also feel as though the engine braking isn't so severe. Really transformed the bike for me.

Great thread...Thanks
Soapysoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-14, 07:35 PM   #308
rickylp

Stupid question but after loosening off the top torx screw is it then possible to just loosen the bottom just enough to be able to gently tap the top around in tiny movements rather than have it really loose and then have it moving too much?? sorry if this a dumbass question but i dont know the answer???
Old 23-09-14, 07:43 PM   #309
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickylp View Post
Stupid question but after loosening off the top torx screw is it then possible to just loosen the bottom just enough to be able to gently tap the top around in tiny movements rather than have it really loose and then have it moving too much?? sorry if this a dumbass question but i dont know the answer???
that's exactly what you want to do.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-14, 07:50 PM   #310
rickylp

Perfecto! cheers Bibio, gonna give it a go tomorrow i think. Was riding today and consciously looking at the rev counter as i rolled on the gas to see when it was reacting and i reckon its about 3500-4000rpm!