SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 11-07-04, 06:48 PM   #1
cmonkey

Default Security - Oxford Defiance ground anchor

Hi all,

This is my short review of the Oxford Defiance ground anchor.

First things first, this thing is built like a tank! It weighs over 6kg and is made from hardened steel. Thieving scumbags aint easily gonna be able to cut thru this with either oxyacetylene or power saws or any other kind of cutting equipment.

The lock that is provided to lock the bar into place also doubles as a disk lock. The whole thing is insurance approved and in the Sold Secure Gold range of security products.

To install it I had to drill 4 16mm holes 90mm deep into my garage floor then drop the expanding bolts into the holes and tighten the whole thing up to about 25 ft/lb. Then you knock ball bearings into the allen headed screws and finally knock small metal caps on top of those screws too, to prevent tampering with.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get the thing out now would be to smash the garage floor around it and re-lay the floor! It really does seem to be so secure. It may be a bit of a minor point when I come to sell the house, especially if the new owners don't ride but I aren't planning on selling the house for a long time so i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In keeping with the name of the product, I defy anybody to steal the bike when it's locked in place. It cost me over £100 but being as that is only 1/40th of the purchase price of the bike I see it as a small price to pay to know that the bike is still going to be there when I get home from work. Great product, great piece of mind, thoroughly recommended.

Anyway, here's a few pics of it doing its job.

cmonkey
Old 11-07-04, 06:52 PM   #2
Stig

Looks more secure than most of the ground anchors I have seen
Old 26-06-08, 10:16 PM   #3
manicmonkey

Default Re: Security - Oxford Defiance ground anchor

Looks damm smart that. No more ****in about with chains!
Old 27-06-08, 05:52 AM   #4
tanis34

judging by th headlines in my local rag i might need to upgrade my security http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...entPK=20957085
Old 27-06-08, 03:26 PM   #5
independentphoto

That's a nice design right enough. The main thing being that you've installed it in a garage - most opportunists aren't going to go that far. Next they have the delay of trying to get through that. Looks easy to use which means you WILL use it. If anything is a faff, it won't get used all the time and you can bet that the one time you leave it...........right?

Garry
Old 28-06-08, 12:54 PM   #6
cmonkey

Wow! Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead!! I'd forgotten all about this thread.

Not only is the anchor in the garage but it's at the back of the garage, which means my car is parked in front of it and alarmed and also the garage itself is alarmed. This should stop most opportunist thiefs. Admittedly when I go to work the secondary line of defense of having my car in front of the bike is gone but the garage is still alarmed and also I have a disk alarm lock on the front disc of the Daytona to go along with the anchor.

I use it all the time, I've never left the bike in the there without it being anchored, whether it be the old SV or the Daytona. It's a good, solid bit of kit and I've more than had my £100 worth of use out of it.
Old 02-07-08, 09:34 AM   #7
Baph

Hmm.

Granted that your setup will stop most opportunistic theives. However, if someone knows your setup (for example, reading this thread), and comes prepared...

The ground anchor goes through the rear wheel, which is a school boy error, as all you'd need to do is remove the rear wheel (24mm socket for a pointy and a tyre wrench). Either bring a spare wheel, or a van.

For piece of mind, with that anchor, I'd use a chain, and chain the wheel to the bike frame, but then it's starting to be a bit of a faff.
Old 02-07-08, 10:37 AM   #8
cmonkey

And during the time the thieving scumbags are removing the back wheel they'd be having to put up with a 110dB garage alarm ringing in their ears (and everyone elses ears in the neighbourhood (which is also a neighbourhood watch area)) and a 100dB disk alarm lock adding to it.

I'm not saying it's un-nickable but I think I've done the best that I can to prevent most lines of attack. However, owning the second most stolen bike in the country (according to insurance statistics that I've seen) is still a worry when I go to work....

Maybe I should wire the frame directly into the ring main.....
Old 02-07-08, 11:17 AM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkey View Post
And during the time the thieving scumbags are removing the back wheel they'd be having to put up with a 110dB garage alarm ringing in their ears (and everyone elses ears in the neighbourhood (which is also a neighbourhood watch area)) and a 100dB disk alarm lock adding to it.
Alarms aren't all they're hyped up to be. Generally it's only two wires to the siren.

Don't get me wrong, you have a decent setup, I'm just in the mood to pick stuff like this up.

PS. My bike horn is lounder than your alarm. I've wired a tilt switch to activate the horn should it be picked off the side-stand whilst the alarm is armed