SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-05, 03:05 PM   #1
The Mass

Default Bike Safe (As in Bike Security)

HI all,

as you all probably know, I disturbed our favourite Sh1ts from having away with the "Blue Cow" earlier this week.
Since then, or rather, over the last couple of days, I have been putting my Bike Safe together. With more than a little help from Mr Mass senior

The Bike Safe is now anchored to 4ft thick concrete
And all the security gadgets you could possibly think of inside and outside

And guess what?

My insurance company only see it as a garage

When I phoned the Makers of Bike Safe, they told me that Carol Nash are 1 that they know of that will give a discount.

My insurance company wanted to know if it was Thatcham Approved or Sold Secure - WTF!!!

So I guess I now have to convince them
Old 19-05-05, 03:09 PM   #2
Cloggsy

Default Re: Bike Safe (As in Bike Security)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
So I guess I now have to convince them
It shouldn't be for you to convince them, it should by the 'Bike Safe' manufacturers shouldn't it If the product is that good then they should be singing from the hill-tops about it & inviting all the insurance comanies to do destructive testing on them via Thatcham etc...

Just IMHO of course
Old 19-05-05, 03:41 PM   #3
Jabba

Quote:
I assume that they give you a discount because of this? Sorry, can't see why you're miffed. I could understand your being miffed if they didn't see it as a garage...................

............or have I missed the point? Again
Old 19-05-05, 03:45 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Quote:
I assume that they give you a discount because of this? Sorry, can't see why you're miffed. I could understand your being miffed if they didn't see it as a garage...................

............or have I missed the point? Again
I think he expects it to be seen as more secure than a garage (and hence should offer even better discounts), on account of it being built specifically to secure bikes in/only having one door, etc.
Old 19-05-05, 04:30 PM   #5
Nouf

I was pretty miffed when I found out they only considered this as a garage in wood, concrete or metal as opposed to a safer place to keep your bike. I got £15 off my insurance when the thing cost £1500. Bike Safe should have given you a copy of Thatchgam certificate? I got one when I bought mine but still didnt help with the gettimg a better discount. Not sure Carol Nash will offer you any more discount than a "garage". Out of curiosity what kinda extra security you have put in? Was thinking of putting a bollard in front of the doors but can't think of anything else. Alarm, CCTV is pretty much of little use IMO.
Old 20-05-05, 08:50 AM   #6
The Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouf
I was pretty miffed when I found out they only considered this as a garage in wood, concrete or metal as opposed to a safer place to keep your bike. I got £15 off my insurance when the thing cost £1500. Bike Safe should have given you a copy of Thatchgam certificate? I got one when I bought mine but still didnt help with the gettimg a better discount. Not sure Carol Nash will offer you any more discount than a "garage". Out of curiosity what kinda extra security you have put in? Was thinking of putting a bollard in front of the doors but can't think of anything else. Alarm, CCTV is pretty much of little use IMO.
Security as follows:

4 x loop top ground anchors, in each corner of the safe, to chain bike to through the loops

1 x Y anchor in middle of concrete, to chain Safe & Bike to

1 x Sensor alarm (F.O.C - courtesy of Gwent Police) this thing is loud and works really well

1 x Oxford Chain & Lock.

2 x Motrax Disc locks.

Oh yeah nearly forgot, newly added chains and padlocks to all gates around garden

Ye know, I'm now looking at the above list, and thinking, what a horrible society we must live in, to keep thieving scum away from your own property, it's just rediculous

And just to add, if they get in and take it, as far as I'm concerned I have done all I can to stop them. Am I right or wrong here?
Old 20-05-05, 09:02 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
And just to add, if they get in and take it, as far as I'm concerned I have done all I can to stop them. Am I right or wrong here?
You could chain a rottweiler inside the bikesafe and starve it, but other than that, it sounds pretty damn secure
Old 20-05-05, 09:09 AM   #8
Anonymous

Here is a typically Boccadillo irrelevant opinion:

1. Certain bikes are a target of selection. Often stolen to order, usually untraceable within hours - and therefore always potentially vulnerable no matter what the security.

2. Other bikes are a target of opportunity. Stolen because they can be grabbed quickly; "joy" ridden or broken for a particular piece - the rest dumped.

3. Then there are the "challenges". The massive fortifications that are a magnet - not to bike thieves per se, but to those kids (and it usually is kids) who see it as a challenge (or dare) to overcome the obstacles. These guys are as likely to toss a burning bottle of petrol at your garage as they are to break in.

I have the feeling that, for this lot, the more you do, the more it will attract them.

IMHO
Old 20-05-05, 09:17 AM   #9
The Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
Here is a typically Boccadillo irrelevant opinion:

1. Certain bikes are a target of selection. Often stolen to order, usually untraceable within hours - and therefore always potentially vulnerable no matter what the security.

2. Other bikes are a target of opportunity. Stolen because they can be grabbed quickly; "joy" ridden or broken for a particular piece - the rest dumped.

3. Then there are the "challenges". The massive fortifications that are a magnet - not to bike thieves per se, but to those kids (and it usually is kids) who see it as a challenge (or dare) to overcome the obstacles. These guys are as likely to toss a burning bottle of petrol at your garage as they are to break in.

I have the feeling that, for this lot, the more you do, the more it will attract them.

IMHO
Taken on board mate, cheers

Mr Mass senior (who helped put it together) said something of interest also.
"All you need now is a gun"

But also consider this, I know this has been s topic of conversation before.

What if I had crept out on Monday (early Tuesday morn) to the three little ****s, collard 1 or 2 of them, and give them a pastin'.
Who's in th wrong then?
Oooh...that'll be me, up on a charge of G.B.H.
So I'm told, I also have to consider letting the dogs out. As I know 1 of them will stop at nothing to protect (if you know what I mean ).
As this is also seen as intent, and they could have my 2 best friends destroyed...
I mean...what it the world coming to Sad...very sad
Old 20-05-05, 09:19 AM   #10
Stormspiel

Yes mate, it seems overkill on security is now the only option to keep things safe.
I had 2 uninsured trials bikes stolen from my garage a couple of years back. There were padlocks on up&over door so they lifted 3 panels off roof and hoiked em up and out.

Theres now:

3 Motrax garage guards on up & over door

1 wireless alarm reciever wih main box in bedroom

1 breezeblock building inside garage with own roof coated in glass and secured from inside.

2 bolts on said inner building with 2 inch thick fire door cut to size.

4 anchor points inside inner building secured 12" into concrete pad

2 high security chains with high security padlocks.

It now takes me 15 mins to get out/ put away my bikes. All because some thieving scum stole 2 bikes worth £4000 and police didn't even come to look. I've since had 3 seperate incidents of people trying to steal the bikes. They don't even get past the alarm now, Thieveing B******s ought to have their hands lobbed off