SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-06, 10:04 PM   #1
Demonz

Default Crash Bungs - where to buy?

Any low price recommendations? R&G seem to be the most popular by majority users??
Old 14-02-06, 12:14 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Depends. If you don't have lower fairings, there's a lot to be said for Motosliders- they're made buy an SV Rider guy, but even with importing costs they're well cheap- I got a set of bung, a spare set of the rubber parts, and a set of swingarm bobbins/sliders, delivered, all for (IIRC) £90. I've not tested them yet, but they're the weapn of choice on SV Rider and there's not been a single bad report of them. Not even one. I don't know of any other manufacturer that could say the same- Moko, maybe.

I had a set of the new R&Gs (and the old ones before them). The old ones always served me well despite the dodgy rep. The new ones did work when I crashed on them- and it was a fairly big hit- but they bent almost ot 90 degrees, which reduced their effectiveness (it's good for nungs to bend in a big hit, helps absorb impacts, but they didn't hit anything solid and were so bent, the protection was reduced.

The reason I stopped using them, though, was the cost of replacement parts- the bendy, sacrificial nature of the bungs means that in any moderate crash, you'll need to replace them- and they cost a bomb. £20 a bung, £10 a bolt IIRC, plus postage. That's just too expensive IMO, when you could get a whole replacement set of Motosliders for much the same.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-06, 09:27 AM   #3
Cloggsy

I had Bikesliders on mine & they did the job (very similar to Motosliders really & not R&G money )
Old 14-02-06, 09:41 AM   #4
JakeRS

at the Ally Pally show the R and G stand were selling the bungs that go through the engine bolt, like I had on my last SV.

They had them up for £70. My uncle's shop is selling them for £69.99, and I get 15% discount off them, so told the R and G man I could get them cheaper.

Should have seen his face!
Old 14-02-06, 12:12 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, they still sell those but those are the ones that were known for having the bungs tear out. Not a problem I ever had, and mine took a hammering, but sometimes they seemed to fail when they shouldn't.
Old 14-02-06, 01:24 PM   #6
Demonz

Thanks for the comments. Northwind - I have lowers on my bike do you think this would be an issue with the Motosliders?
Old 14-02-06, 01:27 PM   #7
Demonz

Ignore that - just found their site... no cutting involved etc. http://www.motosliders.com/MS-1.html
Old 14-02-06, 01:52 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

No, you do need to cut lowers for Motosliders- the site says "No cutting or holes necessary for SV and SVS bikes with stock bodywork"- but you do need to with lowers.
Old 14-02-06, 01:58 PM   #9
Demonz

Ah ok -