SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-11-07, 01:19 PM   #1
licoricepizza

Default Anti-Football

Let me begin by saying that I am not a fan of football. I never got into it when was younger, and there just seems too much to learn now in order to have a conversation with someone without them looking at me like I'm stupid.

One of my more memorable football faux-pas was at St. James' Park (Newcastle United if you're anything like me), my boss, some collegues and I were sat high up in the stand (terraces?) with the sun behind us, it had been raining on and off and there was a beautiful view across Newcastle from so high up. "Wow, have you seen that rainbow?" I said. They looked at me with utter disgust.

So, I have since taken the stand that I dislike football. Nothing particularly to do with footballers being overpaid prima-donnas, or anything like that. Well, a bit, but mainly because I'm excluded.

It seems to me that many on this forum, like myself, have quite strong opinions about certain things whether it be Islam, obesity, whatever, and sometimes can be a little irrational and lack a certain amount of objectivity. Here's an example of my own little piece of irrationality.

I hope England lose tonight.
Old 21-11-07, 01:22 PM   #2
Pedrosa

Default Re: Anti-Football

Don't be like that mate. England are so often very dissapointing but if your English..well you have to stick with them don't yer?

I will be watching Espaņa get pay back on Northern Ireland although it does not matter that much as the 3-0 win against Sweden secured qualification.
Old 21-11-07, 01:24 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Miserable git
Old 21-11-07, 01:24 PM   #4
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by licoricepizza View Post
I hope England lose tonight.

I didn't even know they were playing
Old 21-11-07, 01:25 PM   #5
licoricepizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
Don't be like that mate. England are so often very dissapointing but if your English..well you have to stick with them don't yer?
You are quite right of course. I'm not sure what's more attractive, the idea of England winning something, or the shadenfreude when they lose.
Old 21-11-07, 01:27 PM   #6
licoricepizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Miserable git
It's like you know me.
Old 21-11-07, 01:33 PM   #7
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
but if your English..well you have to stick with them don't yer?

Thats why your living in Spain then?
Old 21-11-07, 01:38 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

I cant stand it myself.

I hope they dont qaulify, england have an easy group and are still struggling and havnt played a decent game yet. Scotland had a solid group (france & Italy ffs) and only just missed out after some cracking performances.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-07, 01:38 PM   #9
Pedrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
Thats why your living in Spain then?
Lol. I din't move simply because of England's lack of domination of the world football scene. But at times the expectations of England fans is mind boggling. Yes they should always qualify for the big tournaments,but ever win one again? Nah.

These days I tend to only watch England when it is a knockout stage, you know the old "**** or bust" type situation. They often come up short but they give you an exciting ride for as long as it lasts.

If England fans get frustrated, imagine what it must be like to be Dutch or Spanish? Both have produced fantastic players and National teams which have always under delivered.

It's a funny old game.
Old 21-11-07, 01:42 PM   #10
skint

Living in Newcastle and not liking football - I suppose you don't drinky Nukey brown either? I can see why times are hard for you!

I lived in Nortumberland for 20 years, the latter 10 of which I worked in the City centre. Every morning the conversation was football esp. Mondays in an office of thrity blokes all NUFC fans except two Sunderland bravehearts. I wasn't overly interested but found myself being sucked in and ended up with a season ticket at St James for a few years just before and during the Keegan player era - magic. After I moved away I lost interest.

As for supporting England you're first post IMHO is what is wrong with this country. Assuming you're Englaish you shouldn't wish a loss in anything. If you're not interested in Football fine, just keep out of it, but to wish a loss is a shame. TREASON - off with yer head!!