SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-12-09, 02:28 AM   #1
jimmy-james

Default SV down, not me riding it.

The mrs is using the SV now and has binned it, thankfully she was ok not a single scratch on her as it was practically stationary. She is a bit shaken and feels very foolish for attempting to ride up a hill covered with black ice and snow, she has seen the error of her ways me thinks.

Anyhoo when i got to the bike and examined the damage the only thing i could see was a broken brake lever, bent handlebars and a microscopic scratch on the tank (the plus side of dropping it in the snow and ice), it even started like nothing had happened. HOWEVER when i was pushing it down the road it seemed to constantly pull to one side . Could this be twist between the top and bottom yolks, can this happen? What should my next course of action be?

Some words of advice; Dont ride on compacted snow and black ice, its bad for your health and your wallet!
Old 22-12-09, 02:46 AM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: SV down, not me riding it.

yeh the forks can twist but i wouldn't be surprised if its the handle bars and not the forks making you think its pulling to the side (was my problem when riding it then realised the bars were very slightly bet)
Old 22-12-09, 04:25 AM   #3
davepreston

yep it can happen but by description highly unlikely
for peice of mind just lossen off wheel an fork bolts then retighten from bottom up, this will recorrect any twisted impact movement on the forks
most likely is handle bar alinement ,check taps on top of clipons to see if still mounted in holes under top yoke ,if naked use mark 1 eyeball after you take them off to check for straightness
may also be worth checking stoplock bungs for damage ,there on top of lower yoke betwen neck and forks
hth
Old 22-12-09, 04:32 AM   #4
jimmy-james

Thanks chaps, might have to stick the rental bars back on and she will have to deal with the extra width. Good news for her is the ice and snow has almost all melted from the roads in Norfolk.

I will have a play tomorrow and see if i can correct it.
Old 22-12-09, 04:39 AM   #5
davepreston

mate have the mrs help with the fixing , it will make her (abite unknowingly) feel happier with the bike and that its back to a1 condition, dont know if youve had an off but there is always that gremlin in your head after thinking is the bike still top notch and watching and doing the work yourself helps "the mental arguement" when jumping back on and the voice starts going "does this feel a bit weird" after the off
just something to concider
Old 22-12-09, 11:20 AM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Glad to hear that she is OK, good luck with the repairs.

Take care out there folks.

Hugs
XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote