SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 23-07-12, 10:21 AM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Question Current laws for riding in France

Has the ban for bikes over 7 years old in cities happened yet? I can't find much info about it that isn't from last year so I'm guessing not. Well I'm hoping not anyway, or I'm screwed

The breathalyser thing only has an 11 euro fine and isn't going to be strictly enforced until November, so not that big a deal.

Apparently the fine for not wearing reflective clothing is 68 euros and 2 penalty points. Does anyone know if the points are applied to British licenses?

Anything else to be worried about? Spare bulbs and GB stickers? I've never had any trouble with them in France before
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-12, 06:54 PM   #2
Stingo

Default Re: Current laws for riding in France

If you can't find it on the dvla website for driving abroad then you probably don't need o be worried, or thinking up funny questions. I did put a link up before...a PDF, might have been from the AA now I think about it. Have a scout around.
Old 01-08-12, 05:06 PM   #3
L3nny
Mega Poster

Just come back from Paris, didn't see anyone wearing any High Viz gear, most were just in jeans and T-Shirt. Also I am pretty sure I saw an old style Fazer outside the hotel which must have been more than 7 years old.

When I went last year I didn't take bulbs HV or anything and didn't have any problems. But then I didn't break down or blow a bulb, or even ride at night for that matter!

Last edited by L3nny; 01-08-12 at 05:07 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 07:30 PM   #4
Thunderace

I've been living in Germany for last three years, and been pulled for speeding in France a couple of times, the Gendarme don,t seem to bother about checking anything (light bulbs, hi viz & such) but they do like to have a good rummage of your paperwork (passport, drivers licence etc) Military ID seems to calm most Continental coppers, however that said make sure you have the funds to pay the fine for any offence you might commit, as they like you to pay on the spot, either by card or cash, if necessary leading you to a cash point if you are old school enough not to have a visa card. And the points for most offences don't go on your license (in Germany, Belgium & Holland that is ,not so sure about France) but are applied to your European driving entitlements, meaning you can receive stiffer penalties for future offences.
Old 01-08-12, 09:15 PM   #5
ricky

i think the hi-viz is next year in jan if im correct!!!
Old 01-08-12, 10:50 PM   #6
Thunderace

You've had to have them in a car for a few years now, but not sure on bikes. Also if you intend to go after October I'd check out the winter tyre laws, its mandatory on cars as of last year but again not sure on bikes!