SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-07, 08:52 PM   #1
Fizzy Fish

Default First Aid Training

A couple of months ago I did a 1-day FBOS (First Bike on Scene) training course, well today i actually had to use it when we came across a couple who had just been knocked off their bike.

As it later turned out, neither were seriously injured, but both were in pain and displaying symptoms of shock, and the female pillion was immobilised as she'd landed hard on her back.

The training made me feel confident about dealing with the situation and therefore much calmer and more able to consider the different things that were going on. I knew how to decide whether the girl's helmet needed removing, and if the situation deteriorated how to do this as safely as possible (tho thankfully didn't have to do so). And when the ambulance did arrive I was able to help the paramedics in terms of providing information and getting her strapped onto the board.

The reason I'm saying this is because it took me ages to do one of these courses, kept meaning to but didn't get round to it, etc. But to come across a scene like that, or worse if it's one of your riding buddies, and not know how to help would be really frustrating and in some cases literally could make the difference between life & death. If you've been thinking of doing one book it now - these courses really are worth it.

BTW in this situation, at the edge of town and relatively close to emergency services, it took the police 10 mins to arrive, and they didn't seem to know that much about first aid, esp re dealing with a biker. The ambulance took 15 mins, and a lot can happen in that time...

Last edited by Fizzy Fish; 24-09-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 23-09-07, 09:08 PM   #2
Demonz

Default Re: First Aid Training

Well done to you Ness. Who runs the courses and how does one book?
Old 23-09-07, 09:12 PM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Good on you Ness for doing the course and stopping to help at an accident.

Luckily I've not had to use the training that I had a couple of years ago
Old 23-09-07, 10:52 PM   #4
Brian

Well done Fizzyfish

I'd not even considered doing a course like this until you mentioned it, like you said a lot can happen in 15 mins.

I wonder how many people at the Org or bikers in gerneral carry first-aid supplies around with them, I know I don't.
Even if it was just a few bandages and other basic first-aid supplies, it wouldnt take up much room under the pillion seat or whatever would it, think i'll put a little kit together, bandages and plasters etc.

I think it'd be nice if there was a sticky somewhere in the forum regarding what to do incase anyone untrained came across a situation like this.
Things like what to do, what not to do, things to check for, y'know just something to educate us all a little more regarding the scene of an accident.
Even if it was just a small list of first-aid things that we could all carry with us that could prove to be a lifesaver or help ease someones pain etc.
Just a thought.
Old 24-09-07, 07:19 AM   #5
MiniMatt

Good call, any information as to who you booked with would be useful, most I seem to find are geared toward companys fulfilling their health and safety requirements.

I was first on scene at a really rather nasty car crash last year, bits of metal sticking in bits of body and bits leaking out kinda bad and needless to say it shook me up massively. Besides staunching bleeding as best I could and talking to the trapped victim I really couldn't do much for the thankfully only five or so minutes before paramedics turned up. Made me think I really need to get some training (though fingers crossed I'll never ever be in that situation again). One thing it has changed in me is that I now carry a full (as in larger than pocket sized) first aid kit in the car boot at all times.
Old 24-09-07, 07:36 AM   #6
Jackie_Black

I'm getting sent on a full 4 day first aid course at work soon because no one else in the department wanted the responsibility. I also intend to get a decent first aid kit to store with the bike because you never know!
Old 24-09-07, 08:44 AM   #7
Fizzy Fish

TBH on this occasion i didn't do anything dramatic like save lives, etc but it did hit home how important it is to know a few basics like assessing casualties, knowing when/how to move someone, when/how to remove their helmet and CPR. It also helps keep people calm if there's someone who can take control of the situation and seems to know a bit about what they're doing.

The FBOS course that I did was focused on making the situation safe and keeing someone going until the ambulance arrives, to do any more you'd need more training, etc. As a relative amateur I wouldn't want to try and tell people how to deal with this kind of situation, rather go and do a course as it goes in better that way, and also for things like helmet removal you really need to practice.

Some links here:

http://www.fbos.co.uk/firstbikeonscene.asp
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-c...rcyclists.aspx
Old 24-09-07, 09:43 AM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

I did some first aid training a few years ago, but this seemed such a good idea I looked at the SJA site and lo, there's a course in a couple of weeks time just up the road from me, so I've sent off an application.

Good one!
Old 24-09-07, 09:52 AM   #9
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I did some first aid training a few years ago, but this seemed such a good idea I looked at the SJA site and lo, there's a course in a couple of weeks time just up the road from me, so I've sent off an application.

Good one!
that's really good to hear, hope you enjoy it!
Old 24-09-07, 11:54 AM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

http://www.boxhill.co.uk/forum/phpBB...13763&start=75
Think this is 29/9/07 but read the thread
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote