SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 18-04-12, 11:35 AM   #11
sc00by

Default Re: Summer Police Initiative

They've be better putting up a few more of these on common biker routes

Old 18-04-12, 12:12 PM   #12
on yer bike

when I was stopped a couple of years ago, they claimed to stop me to check the bike wasn't stolen... Could they not have set up a number plate recognition camera further up the road, and only stopped me if it came up as stolen? they then went round my bike to check the "legality" of the bike.

My question is do you legally have to stop, surely they can only legally stop you if you've been seen to be doing something wrong? I wouldn't want to be the one to test out driving around the officer pulling me over but it is a thought.

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-12, 02:27 PM   #13
fenjer

I have to agree they'd be better educating the car drivers out there to be aware of the presence of bikes.

Sadly it tends to be the biker that comes off worse when a car pulls out on them, or by taking that corner a little bit too fast, or sliding on that gravel.

Which I guess makes us the easier target to tell to slow down or be more observant.
Old 18-04-12, 03:40 PM   #14
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If It's police then yes you have to stop.
Or risk a nick.
Old 18-04-12, 03:57 PM   #15
SIII
Mega Poster

Your first question should be " Officer, what moving offence did i commit, giving you reason to stop me?"

I believe they have to have a reason and not just cos they feel like it! If he doesn't have a reason then you are entitled to drive away!

Go on you try it! I would love to but the only times i have ever been stopped they have had a reason, never been stopped on the bike, yet.
Old 18-04-12, 04:01 PM   #16
Kilted Ginger

To be fair i dont have a problem with this, they monitor these roads (and all others) anyway, giving the warning allows those that need to to modify their riding style.
Its the summer, the biking roads always attract more attention.
I've had a few conversations with the police bikers, at the green welly, at a heavily manned inspection stop they were running and ocassionally in McDonalds or somewhere else i've stopped for a coffee. I've always found them to be helpful rather than being overly pedantic about the legality of the bike. One even agreed to do an ad-hoc bike safe type ride with me there and then.
Central (who cover this road) are the only force whose bikers volunteer for bike safe, all the other forces get paid for it, the central boys do it on their time off. nuff said.
As for stopping you for a chat, unless you're riding like a loon or speeding, or its been a very quiet day then its very unlikely you'll get stopped. They tend to park at the welly or the wee cafe at loch tay. Last year they actually suggested i may want to be carefull with my speed heading back to doune as there was a van there that afternoon.
The Traffic bods (cage) sometimes are given targets and work in connection with the vosa and if you are told to target "unsafe" vehicles then, old heaps, vans, boy racer cars and bikes are the most likely to have faults or not 100% legal mods.
Old 18-04-12, 04:01 PM   #17
Kilted Ginger

To be fair i dont have a problem with this, they monitor these roads (and all others) anyway, giving the warning allows those that need to to modify their riding style.
Its the summer, the biking roads always attract more attention.
I've had a few conversations with the police bikers, at the green welly, at a heavily manned inspection stop they were running and ocassionally in McDonalds or somewhere else i've stopped for a coffee. I've always found them to be helpful rather than being overly pedantic about the legality of the bike. One even agreed to do an ad-hoc bike safe type ride with me there and then.
Central (who cover this road) are the only force whose bikers volunteer for bike safe, all the other forces get paid for it, the central boys do it on their time off. nuff said.
As for stopping you for a chat, unless you're riding like a loon or speeding, or its been a very quiet day then its very unlikely you'll get stopped. They tend to park at the welly or the wee cafe at loch tay. Last year they actually suggested i may want to be carefull with my speed heading back to doune as there was a van there that afternoon.
The Traffic bods (cage) sometimes are given targets and work in connection with the vosa and if you are told to target "unsafe" vehicles then, old heaps, vans, boy racer cars and bikes are the most likely to have faults or not 100% legal mods.
Old 18-04-12, 04:10 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup the 'chat' police only park up in well known biker stops and go around chatting to you, they don't actually pull you over. lochside cafe at st marys is another favourite. one place i have never seen them is the hungry highlander.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-12, 04:29 PM   #19
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
The Traffic bods (cage) sometimes are given targets...
Which they hate, but bang goes their discretion to let you off with a friendly word of advice.

I seriously bristle at the presumption my bike is illegal somehow, but they don't know me from Adam at the end of the day. I'm sticking with polite.

*pops out to make sure bike is legal*
Old 18-04-12, 06:10 PM   #20
dyzio
Mega Poster

I've been stopped by the local operation last year: http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...postcount=1399

Took about 10 minutes, was more about looking at the bike, checking tax and insurance (had the papers with me), not a word about the exhaust which was on the louder setting.
Ok, where I come from, police stops are normal and the coppers aren't as polite as I've met here but I really didn't mind it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on yer bike View Post
Could they not have set up a number plate recognition camera further up the road
More cameras on the roads?

But speaking of which, which forces here have ANPR equipment?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote