SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-14, 08:02 PM   #1
TheCaptain

Default Tyre to match an OE Dunlop?

Hey guys

I bought my 2010 SV650S, and on it are the OEM Dunlop D220s.
I'm not nearly fast enough to push these tyres to their limit, but I don't hear good things about them anyway.
I've put about 3000 miles on the bike in a short space of time, but the bike has completely chewed through the rear whilst the front has more or less kept.
After sieving through the internet, I can only assume the D220 has been discontinued, which makes me trying to get a new rear a bit of an issue.
I've been told it is a BAD idea to mix and match tyres, especially if they're different brands, but would it be okay to get a similar sport touring Dunlop tyre on the rear?
This is just until I wear out both the front and the rear and then I can get myself some BT-023s or some T30s
Old 06-10-14, 09:05 PM   #2
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Dunlop Tyres

Bin the front and replace with a matched set.
D220's are make of the rare rubber called Bakelite.

I would go speak to a local fitter as there is some really good tyres for not a lot of money at present.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 11:22 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dunlop Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Bin the front and replace with a matched set.
D220's are make of the rare rubber called Bakelite.

I would go speak to a local fitter as there is some really good tyres for not a lot of money at present.
Oh do behave Smithers.....

Ok there are many tyres finer than the D220s, but that doesnt make them completely rubbish, ie you are not going to automatically die if you ride on them.

When my K6 ran out of tyres from new I went with Pilot Road 2s, followed by Roadsmarts, back to PR3s, now on Contimotions.

I'd go for a matched set - the bike will feel amazing on nice new rubber.

The contimotions cost me 2/3rds the cost of the PR3/PR4s and I was told will last about 2/3 as long. To me this just means less time to that new tyre feeling :P

Go with one of the major names, dont pick the track/performance ones, go for something with a dual/triple compound to get your moneys worth.

Basically if they are round and black they will do...

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 12:23 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyre to match an OE Dunlop?

yes i agree with smithers and SK but i'll add my 2ps worth.

if you have chewed threw a D220 in 3k then you are ragging the bike away from lights or cracking the throttle wide open at every given opportunity. you should have had at least 7k out a D220 rear. if i'm right then stop ragging the bike, calm down a bit and learn to ride smoothly. this will save you a fortune in rubber not to mention other consumables.

if you stay in a city and your only using the bike for commuting in that city then if it were me i would be looking at buying the hardest rubber i could get my hands on such as full touring type. if you dont then i would say get any decent brand duel compound sports touring rubber as they are all pretty much same.

i dont commute and i only do 6-7k a year but my recent choice was Michelin PR3's which i found to be superb in every condition and very confidence inspiring. i got 5k out a rear and i dont hang about but i'm a smooth rider. others on here have done a rear in 3k and some have gone as long as 10k so its all to do with the right wrist action.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 08:34 AM   #5
davepreston

bang on a set of avon storms, you'll thank me later
Old 07-10-14, 08:56 AM   #6
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Tyre to match an OE Dunlop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

if you have chewed threw a D220 in 3k then you are ragging the bike away from lights or cracking the throttle wide open at every given opportunity. you should have had at least 7k out a D220 rear. if i'm right then stop ragging the bike, calm down a bit and learn to ride smoothly. this will save you a fortune in rubber not to mention other consumables.

i dont commute and i only do 6-7k a year but my recent choice was Michelin PR3's which i found to be superb in every condition and very confidence inspiring. i got 5k out a rear and i dont hang about but i'm a smooth rider. others on here have done a rear in 3k and some have gone as long as 10k so its all to do with the right wrist action.

Change for a pair of modern sports touring rubber. Find the best price for a pair of Avon Storms, Pirelli Angel GT's or Michelin PR3's (I don't like, but I am in the minority) or something similar.

You will thank us for it. SV is sooooo much nicer on decent rubber, especially now the roads are wet & greasy.

Did my rear D220 in 3k. Wasn't ragging it, cos I just got the bike, but it did get squared off nicely by pottering about enjoying myself, mostly thru winter.
Old 07-10-14, 10:05 AM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I'm sure your find out that a pair of quality matched tyres are cheaper than your insurance excess.
Old 07-10-14, 12:00 PM   #8
mkr

Smile Re: Tyre to match an OE Dunlop?

Managed 4000mls out of the rear on D220's and 4000mls on a Roadsmart replacement.

Just changed the front at 8000mls (original D220).

Mixing Roadsmart rear and D220 front caused no problem.

Will admit was only happy pushing the front when weather above 10deg. C

Now fitted Dunlop Qualifiers, expecting the wear mileage to go down?
mkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 02:08 PM   #9
Corny Gizmo

Mine are mixed too:

D220 on the front and swapped the rear for a maxxis supermaxx

I didnt want to mix them but the rear got to 6k and was illegal - had to be changed

Feels a damn sight better than the d220 rear but to be honest I dont have too much faith in the front - But still more confidence overall than before
Old 07-10-14, 02:13 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Having see a D220 slide on a SV kinda be chucking it in the bin

Yes it was dry ok they were two up. But still I'd bin them