SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-16, 02:11 PM   #11
Artstu

Default Re: Picked up my new SV yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
phone your suzuki dealer. as far as i'm aware the new SV does not have an immobiliser so does not have a microchip key. even with the suzuki alarm system the key does not have a chip.
Yes my dealer has confirmed they don't have the SAIS fitted.
Artstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 05:44 PM   #12
Artstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Congratulations!
Mine has now done 1000 miles and the worst fuel consumption I've had was 72 mpg and the best 80 mpg, last tankful was 77 mpg. It's my 3rd SV.
I really like the sound of that, just one question are those trip computer figures or have you done the maths?
Old 18-07-16, 05:51 PM   #13
aesmith

That sounds good, it's about time motorcycle manufacturers started paying attention to fuel consumption. My SV is only around 5% better than my previous CBR600 despite being 15 years more modern, fuel injection instead of carbs, and both lighter and slimmer.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 05:55 PM   #14
macamxthe1st

3,000+ miles up normal running 70 to 75 mpg. Being rather silly not less than 65. Have done brim to brim and it seems pretty accurate.
Old 18-07-16, 06:07 PM   #15
Artstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
3,000+ miles up normal running 70 to 75 mpg. Being rather silly not less than 65. Have done brim to brim and it seems pretty accurate.
That'll do me, I may try one tomorrow then. My current bike only has around 11 hp, and only does about 90 mpg.
Old 19-07-16, 09:33 AM   #16
Artstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Hi artstu - my mileage figures were calculated by brimming. The 80 mpg figure was when I was limited to 5k rpm. The last reading of 77 mpg was cruising at 60-70 mph with lower gear acceleration to 8k rpm.

I usually fill up after 170 miles and the (flashing) fuel warning says I have 40 miles left. My shortest journeys are 25 miles and I'm rarely in heavy traffic which I think contribute towards my figures.
Thank you Seeker. I'm just about to go to the dealers and try one all being well, it's been a while since I rode a motorbike so I might try a VanVan 200 first.

Is there such a thing as too hot for riding motorbikes, so used to being able to cycle with shorts on, I'd better get some jeans on.
Old 19-07-16, 02:23 PM   #17
macamxthe1st

Just been out for a run up here in the North Pennines. As I was just out to enjoy this glorious day and following some contribution's to this thread I road with economy as the priority for the first 50 miles, well cop for this 94.3 mpg honestly I kid you not. By the time the 50 miles came up I was losing the will to live but that is quite remarkable especially given the topography around here
Completed the rest of the ride normally 89 miles in total average 79 mpg. I reckon if I really tried I could get the significant 100 mpg. I may just try that some time when I am extremely bored.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 19-07-16 at 04:55 PM.
Old 19-07-16, 03:15 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
Just been out for a run up here in the North Pennines. As I was just out to enjoy this glorious day and following some contribution's to this thread I road with economy as the priority for the first 50 miles, well cop for this 94.3 mpg honestly I kid you not. By the time the 50 miles came up Iwas losing the will to live but that is quite remarkable especially given the topography around here
Completed the rest of the ride normally 89 in total aversge 79 mpg. I reckon if I really tried I could get the significant 100 mpg. I may just try that some time when I am extremely bored.
you must be doing your calculations wrong.

brim your tank then clear both your trip meters.

ride the bike then brim your tank again. write down your trip mileage on the petrol receipt (always ask for a receipt with the litres on it). if your out for the day and cover more than one tank of petrol you need to keep all the receipts but dont reset the trip meter, or take advantage of the double meter and only reset (A). before you know you are going to go home on your last fill up you write down the (B) trip meter mileage on your last receipt. once you have written down your total mileage and you know your going home reset your trip meters for the next time.

once you are home take the receipts and write down the total amount of litres from all receipts.

calculation is: mileage / litre x 4.546 = MPG
total mileage divided by litres = ?? this gives MPL (Miles Per Litre)

you then take your MPL from above and multiply by 4.546 = MPG

you then take your MPL and multiply by the capacity of your tank = MPT (Miles Per Tank) so you know how far you can go on one tank full.

having two trip meters available lets you use (A) for tank range and (B) for total mileage of day/week.

i have been keeping a spreadsheet of my fuel usage since 27/05/2011
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-16, 03:22 PM   #19
macamxthe1st

No you misunderstand. I set everything to zero, rode as economically as possible for 50 miles. Noted average consumption. Rode normally for remainder of ride and again noted average consumption.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 19-07-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 19-07-16, 03:27 PM   #20
Bibio
Mega Poster

that does not give a true MPG figure. only calculating the amount of fuel you have used by the miles you have travelled will give a true figure of fuel consumption.

i can get my Diesel Yeti to show 100mpg but its only doing 50mpg.

my true figure for a K7 twin spark SV650 is worst 11.66MPL best 15.55MPL
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote