SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-16, 03:49 PM   #21
macamxthe1st

Default Re: Picked up my new SV yesterday.

And that is exactly what is happening here, the average consumption display takes the metered fuel used from the time the trip meter being zeroed and calculates it against the miles traveled.
Old 19-07-16, 04:04 PM   #22
Bibio
Mega Poster

you dont have to zero the trip meter it will calculate it no matter what.

does the meter store the AVG fuel consumption or is it reset every time you turn off the ignition?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-16, 04:27 PM   #23
macamxthe1st

When you zero the trip meter it resets the calculation and zero's the fuel metering giving the fuel used, distance travelled calculation.

The average fuel figure is stored and only reset when the trip meter is zeroed. The longer you refrane from zeroing the driver trip the more relevant the average consumption figure is. If you go to the top of a hill and zero the driver trip then coast down the hill the average will read 99.9 mpg. Now turn round zero the driver and power up the hill average would show say 40 mpg do the arithmetic and you get 99.9 + 40 divided by 2 giving approximately 70 mpg. Now once again zero the driver trip meter and coast down the hill turn round at the bottom not touching the trip meter and power up the hill and i bet the average meter shows something in the order of 70 mpg.

It is correct I assure you.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 19-07-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 19-07-16, 04:37 PM   #24
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont zero the trip then and see how you get on.

its good to know your true tank range for things like going on holiday to such places as the north of Scotland where petrol stations are very few and far between so you can calculate your stops.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-16, 07:59 PM   #25
Artstu

Perhaps the wrong thread, but seeing as there are no photos I thought why not.
I've just had an afternoon with a new SV. I was originally just looking for a small 125 for knocking about on. As I've not ridden a motorcycle for about 7 years, and not ridden one with more than 12 hp for about 13 years I thought a VanVan 200 test ride would a good idea. Well that just showed you never forget how to ride a bike and that a 125 simply wouldn't cut it with me any more, and in this case a 200, which actually felt slower than my little modified ST50's
Now out on the SV I found it hard to just tootle. Most of my ride today was in traffic because a key route to the dealers was being covered in chippings and I wanted to bring it back to roads I know. I did get to have a blast over the Snake Pass heading west so it wasn't all about traffic.
I'll have to think carefully about making some room for one now, and sell 2 bikes before I can warrant having one.
I've nothing really to compare it against so won't
say much other than I would be happy to own one.
I even gave it a wash for them, it was already a bit of a state and it only had under 300 miles on the clock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160719_161112.jpg (119.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Artstu; 19-07-16 at 08:15 PM.
Artstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 07:54 PM   #26
madjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Are you the chap I spoke to at Newcastle Motorcycles?. Nice bike.
Yes it probley was me.
Old 20-07-16, 08:50 PM   #27
madjohn

That's the colour i was after but they must be more popular than the White/Blue ones. There isn't any more blue ones coming into the country untill the end of August.

But i'm still happy with the colour i've got. The finish looks pretty good compared to my other SV's. So far so good. About 85 miles done so far. Still over half tank of petrol left.
Old 21-07-16, 09:26 AM   #28
Artstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjohn View Post
That's the colour i was after but they must be more popular than the White/Blue ones. There isn't any more blue ones coming into the country untill the end of August.

But i'm still happy with the colour i've got. The finish looks pretty good compared to my other SV's. So far so good. About 85 miles done so far. Still over half tank of petrol left.
I really like the blue wheels, I guess they'll be difficult to keep looking clean compared to black ones. I bet a blue tank would look well with them.
I never asked what colours they had available as I'm not set-up to have one yet. The small bikes I currently own easily fit in the house, an SV would be a challenge to get in and out.

How are you getting on with the seat? It's just the wrong side of comfortable for me, why they can't get them right first time I don't know. I wouldn't rush out to change it until I'd given it a chance for a while.

Last edited by Artstu; 21-07-16 at 09:35 AM.
Artstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-16, 07:24 PM   #29
madjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstu View Post
I really like the blue wheels, I guess they'll be difficult to keep looking clean compared to black ones. I bet a blue tank would look well with them.
I never asked what colours they had available as I'm not set-up to have one yet. The small bikes I currently own easily fit in the house, an SV would be a challenge to get in and out.

How are you getting on with the seat? It's just the wrong side of comfortable for me, why they can't get them right first time I don't know. I wouldn't rush out to change it until I'd given it a chance for a while.

When i took the bike out for a test ride before i decidered to buy i found the seat ok but now that i've got the bike it is pretty hard. I was thinking of getting the taller option. It's 5mm taller than the standard one and round about £120 quid. I'd be interested in how much people are paying to get the orginal seat done.
Old 21-07-16, 08:01 PM   #30
yokohama

5mm??? Is that all.
Better to save 120 quid and buy a pair of padded cycling shorts to go under your leathers.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote