SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-18, 12:00 PM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

The bike was averaging over 70mph, another fact from the investigation
He was on a CB500 he can't have been going much faster...
Old 01-05-18, 12:59 PM   #22
andy650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
The facts then show that both the bike and the car continued along the motorway close together for some distance at high speed. That didn't happen by accident, it happened as a direct result of a conscious decision by both parties involved, either of whom could have stopped it from happening in an instant.
If you are on a bike, being chased by an irate driver, it is very difficult to get yourself into a safe position unless you have the power to boot it and literally run away. You cannot safely slow down because they will then catch you.

The only other option is to let them get close, then quickly change lanes and hammer the brakes and let them fly past, but then what? They can stop as well.....

I do not see how either of them could have "stopped that situation in an instant"? Sure, if he had been on a Busa and it was dry and clear, he would be long gone, but in the circumstances I suspect he was trapped.

I really feel like you are trying to attribute some blame to the biker, when he was the more vulnerable one who ended up dead.

I know where you are coming from, trying to understand exactly what happened so maybe it wont ever happen to you, and that is exactly what I do whenever I see footage of an accident.

But, making guesses and then concluding the biker was in some way to blame, oversteps the mark in my book.

The driver was a scroat who did everything he could to avoid justice, he did many things wrong and deserved everything he got, and more.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:05 PM   #23
andy650

On a personal note, I had a similar incident thankfully at a lot lower speeds.

I did a fruity overtake on someone and clearly made them jump, he caught me up and started hurling abuse. I ignored him (as I always do), which resulted in him overtaking me and then slamming brakes on, all I could do was change lanes and boot it to get away.

It was terrifying, I have an irate driver with a weapon, who appeared happy to use it. With no way of defending myself, the only choice was to use the power of the bike and get away.

Sadly on a rainy dark motorway with a CB500 I doubt he had the same luxury.......
Old 01-05-18, 01:09 PM   #24
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I was basing my earlier replies on having watched the program last week. I've now read the link and see the judge's summing up was pretty damning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
"Your staged apology to this whole room was entirely hollow. If you are motivated by anything other than self-motivation you would have admitted what you have done. Not made this process longer by your decision to contest guilt.
"You were driving along the M4, driving within the speed limit. Whether this caution was because of being over the legal limit to drive, we will never know.
"He was travelling quicker than you, and overtook you. That was enough for you to embark upon a horrendous, dangerous pursuit.
"It would appear your ego is so frail that the mere fact of being overtaken was too much to withstand.
"This was an aggressive course of driving intended to intimidate and bully David Evans. Your past suggests that bullying is in your nature.
"You accelerated harshly, going from 52mph to 86mph in a pursuit of the bike. You must've dropped down the gears and accelerated hard.
"You exaggerated the poor weather conditions to say you were not aware of the collision.
"One can't imagine how David Evans felt in the moments before the collision. You were travelling along behind him at great speed, less than half a second behind his rear wheel.
"You drove into him, clipping his foot peg, causing him to lose control and in the resulting collision, lose his life.
"You know you contributed to his death. Having driven him off the road, and to his death, you drove off. Even for someone with your record for dishonesty, this was absolutely shameful.
"Your yearning for self-preservation was sickening... You drove off and went to remove the evidence that proved you had been in a collision.
"No sentence can recompense those who have lost David Evans or undo the wrong."
Sweeting, of Bettws, Newport, who had had 21 convictions across 35 offences dating back to 1979, was given seven years in prison for death by dangerous driving, 12 months for attempting to pervert the course of justice, and was disqualified for driving for six years.
This reinforces my assertion that 7 years when 14 is available to the judge is lenient. WTF do you have to be guilty of get the full force of the law?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:11 PM   #25
andy650

And my last post (unless someone wants to flame me).....

The investigating copper says:

"There's no two ways about it. The driver of that car has intimidated and bullied this motorcyclist and has driven him to his death."

Just take that as it is, and stop trying to attribute any blame to the biker. His family would be mortified if they read this thread.
Old 01-05-18, 01:14 PM   #26
andy650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
This reinforces my assertion that 7 years when 14 is available to the judge is lenient. WTF do you have to be guilty of get the full force of the law?
Quite. It doesn't really get much worse, does it?
Old 01-05-18, 01:40 PM   #27
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
Quite. It doesn't really get much worse, does it?
Maybe ... there was the case last week in Coventry last week of the coked-up driver who was doing over 60 (in a 30 zone I think) and killed 2 young kids and then tried to run off. He received 9 years for that. I wonder what you need to do to get 14
Interestingly, he'd had 30 previous convictions for driving without a licence or insurance. Obviously the punishments he received for these were a real deterrent too.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:01 PM   #28
Dave-the-rave

Seems reasonable to me he should have got a sentenced for causing death by dangerous driving, another for leaving the scene and another for trying to cover it up. Fourteen years would be in the ball park. IMO. Shame consecutive sentences are not implemented more often. And his ban should start when he gets out.

Lets be honest the systematic institutionalised cover up of paedophilia, exposed since the Saville affair (and before) should indicate to the public how very little is taken seriously in this country.
Old 01-05-18, 02:22 PM   #29
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
He was on a CB500 he can't have been going much faster...
The pictures show a CB500X, same 47bhp as an LC350 and no-one ever accused an LC350 of being slow.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:41 PM   #30
Heorot

Sometimes, just being a biker is enough to set some people off. A few weeks ago I was on the bike overtaking a queue of slow moving traffic on an A road at rush hour. As I was about to overtake a people carrier, it suddenly swerved right into the oncoming lane to block my pass. Fortunately, I saw the move early enough to brake but had to move into the oncoming lane. Luckily there was no traffic coming towards me otherwise I would have been wiped out.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote