SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-17, 02:57 PM   #21
Mega Poster

Default Re: What's with bike insurance this year?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk...de-ratings.php

Here is the postcode database that UK insurers use for basic risk assessment - before they even look at your personal NCB and risks.

Postcodes with a * by them need motorbikes to be kept in secure garage.
Gonna take that with a pinch of salt as the relation between postcode and crime changes regularly.
Old 08-11-17, 02:58 PM   #22
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
insurance renewal has just popped through the door £128 FC. £5 cheeper than last year. i pay a high premium as my bike is modified. sounds good to me as i CBA looking about or haggling for a few £.
"LOL"

That is not a high premium. Not even remotely.

Might be for the mountains of Scotland, mind you!
Old 08-11-17, 04:17 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Gonna take that with a pinch of salt as the relation between postcode and crime changes regularly.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-out-of-reach

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 10:23 AM   #24
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Oh, the Guardian! Must be factual, then.

Listen, it's a given that varying postcodes have higher insurance premiums. Crime rates rise and fall.

I can tell you, for example, that the postcode where my mum lives is virtually crime free - checking the crime statistic database confirms that.

When looking at your linked website, it claims my mum's postcode is among the higher risk. I can also tell you that I've insured my SV650 with zero no claims (all tied up in my other three bikes), TPFT for £75 a year from there. The same bike at my own house would cost me circa £400 - the latter being one letter different on the risk factor according to your website.

So, like I said, pinch of salt. It's not as simple as the insurers looking at that laughably low-brow website and forming a chunk of the premium decision on that.
Old 09-11-17, 01:12 PM   #25
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Just this morning I had the chat with CIA insurance about my renewal. I have fully comp, with two named riders and eight years no claims for £112, which given that I am now registered as a disabled rider and have more mods on my bike than you can shake a stick at, is damn reasonable. There is finally a benefit to being an over forty women living in boring town!

I have been using CIA for over six years now, probably longer, following a compare the S**tbags website that gave me a quote for MCE that seemed reasonable at the time. The amount of trouble I went through with MCE (that ended with me making a formal complaint through the FSO) was so awful, I vowed never to use them again.

Some one on here recommended CIA to me and I have never had a problem with them, even when I was involved in an accident where I was hit up the back side by woman in 4X4. Given that all insurance companies are the moral equivalent of vultures circling a dying child, it is nice to deal with one that is fairly ethical!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 03:08 PM   #26
Mega Poster

I've had equally poor experiences with MCE. Cheaper is not always better.

Bennetts tend to be OK, but then I've not had a claim with them, so it's hard to say until something like that happens. You know the real merit of an insurance company when you're the one at fault for an accident or have had your bike stolen, etc.