SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-15, 12:09 PM   #41
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Joined the T Bone Club.

Tam,

I did ask earlier this week if I could have it back until a decision had been made regarding the 3rd parties liability. In a long winded way they basically said no it didn't work like that. My concern with demanding my bike back is that I am unsure if I then become liable for the storage charges. Today is day 39, at £20 per day.

All a nightmare I wish I hadn't gotten myself into. Should never have let them take it. You live and learn.
Hopefully someone else reading this will learn from my misfortune.
Old 21-08-15, 12:10 PM   #42
shiftin_gear98

They did mention a hire bike, but also about a policy I would have to take out etc to stop me having to pay for it if it turned out the other party didn't accept liability.
I really don't want to sign any more of their paperwork.
Old 21-08-15, 01:58 PM   #43
TamSV
Mega Poster

Bar stewards.

It would be nice if the people who handle hundreds of these claims started explaining things properly to their customers but it seems too much to expect.

You can check what you signed and maybe change the situation but it seems you've got other things going on so you might just choose to avoid the hassle and wait it out. You shouldn't have to fight the people who are supposed to be helping but what I or anyone else would do about that is not necessarily what you should do.

Depending on the car drivers story, liability may not be clear-cut. RSA are certainly on for something but they might be thinking there's a possibility of contributory negligence. From their perspective it's worth holding on to see what comes to light. The vehicle costs and storage fees are inconsequential really - it's the looming personal injury claim they've got their eye on. It doesn't help you but, as you've identified, the lack of Comp cover means you're exposed to all this delay while you wait for liability to be sorted out.

Both sides are possibly hoping that the police report will deliver the knock-out blow. It probably won't, but the fact she's had to attend a careless driving course is hugely in your favour.

Last edited by TamSV; 21-08-15 at 02:01 PM.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-15, 02:39 PM   #44
Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Bar stewards.

It would be nice if the people who handle hundreds of these claims started explaining things properly to their customers but it seems too much to expect.

You can check what you signed and maybe change the situation but it seems you've got other things going on so you might just choose to avoid the hassle and wait it out. You shouldn't have to fight the people who are supposed to be helping but what I or anyone else would do about that is not necessarily what you should do.

Depending on the car drivers story, liability may not be clear-cut. RSA are certainly on for something but they might be thinking there's a possibility of contributory negligence. From their perspective it's worth holding on to see what comes to light. The vehicle costs and storage fees are inconsequential really - it's the looming personal injury claim they've got their eye on. It doesn't help you but, as you've identified, the lack of Comp cover means you're exposed to all this delay while you wait for liability to be sorted out.

Both sides are possibly hoping that the police report will deliver the knock-out blow. It probably won't, but the fact she's had to attend a careless driving course is hugely in your favour.
Communication with insurance companies is a nightmare. After lots of emails and calls I got the bike money after two months from the accident (the other driver accept full liability) but I am still dealing with my injury claim. The solicitors (which were chosen from the insurance company) are even worse in the communication and I think they don't pay a lot of attention because my case is not a high value one. 5 months after the accident and they still don't have the doctor report in their hands yet in order to proceed further. I think that if I take any money it will be around XMas lol
Old 21-08-15, 02:58 PM   #45
TamSV
Mega Poster

For the most part I agree. Experience often runs contrary to the advertised service.

If you have a claim Winston Wolf is not turning up to sort it out. Nor will a friendly claims handler materialise in your burnt out living room, getting all dewy eyed cause he ****ing CARES so much.

A better way to look at it might be, if you don't have insurance and something happens it will be an absolute nightmare. If you do have insurance and something happens it will be an absolute nightmare, but at least you'll get a cheque at the end.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-15, 07:00 AM   #46
shiftin_gear98

Tam, Thank you for your input. If only the people involved with this were as open. You have said more in your comments that made sense then the multiple phone calls I have had so far.

Been away for the weekend, nice to forget about it all for two days!!
Any of you that live in the Cotswolds, you live in a nice place. My boys loved paddling in the water - Bourton on the Water. Last night however was nice being back in my own bed and not to be sleeping in a "family" room @ Travelodge!! 5 people one room - not pleasant.

Got to focus on the house move right now, less than 2 weeks.... so much packing to do.

Fingers crossed the Police report doesn't take too long if that's what they are waiting for. Hopefully either way it'll speed things up.
Old 24-08-15, 02:19 PM   #47
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Any of you that live in the Cotswolds, you live in a nice place.
I grew up in the Cotswolds and it is lovely, well it is when you tourists go home

Sadly there is no way I could afford to live there now
Old 24-08-15, 07:00 PM   #48
Toooldtodie

Insurance companies are a mystery to me.
I have to say that Bennetts were brilliant at the time of my accident, had the right solicitors and all. Even renewed the following year, then bumped my premium by 50%.
These companies seem not to want repeat business!? Or want sleepwalking customers to pay over the odds.
Got a settlement quite quickly, but then, as in your case Shiftin, the driver was charged with careless driving. So take heart, they're unlikely to contest with that sort of verdict from the police, and hold out for a better offer, not the first one. This may sound like milking it, but I'd rather give the money back than be permanently less-able as I am now.
Nightmare at the time, do not envy you. You and your family do not deserve this stress. All the best mate.
Old 09-09-15, 06:47 AM   #49
shiftin_gear98

Well the house move went fairly smoothly, the boxes are nearly empty. Life was getting back on track. Until..
I sent the PC who attended an email on the 1st of Sept, asking if he knew if she had done here course etc etc. How things were proceeding as without the bike I am having to use the family car and my wife is stranded at home with 3 kids. I got a reply last night.

Martin,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
I have been trying repeatedly to get hold of the other driver by email, phone and personal visits but have not been able to contact her by any of the methods. This has been for a few weeks so it may be that she is away. I will have to give her some more time to get in touch with me so that I can complete her interview.

WTF, I am at a loss. I have been without my bike for 2 months, all parties are waiting on the police report and she hasn't even been interviewed yet. I have no idea how best to proceed, I really just want/need my bike back.

Facts

Bennetts my insurers aren't doing anything as to my crash as I'm 3rd party. They arranged for 4th Dimension to collect my bike for assessment. 4th Dimension don't seem to want to give it back until everything is settled. The 3rd party ins. RSA is disputing liability even though she admitted fault at the scene to the police. They are waiting for the police report. 4th Dimension have told me they can't get a police report? and that Bennetts aren't following my claim. Minster Law - also appointed by Bennetts - are also waiting for the police report - personal injury claim.

Any guidance on what I should do would be great. Just letting things take their course is only making me the one to suffer more. Would contacting the Insurance Ombudsman help? Or is there nothing they can do.

Due to the recent house move pretty much all funds are drained, so the option of buying another bike / car is out. Really wish I had never let them take it away, had a bad feeling when they did.

Thanks Martin
Old 09-09-15, 03:20 PM   #50
Ch00

Phone The Traffic Criminal Justice Unit (Met Police) on 0207 230 0565. They deal with all the accident reports once they have been submitted. They might be able to tell you whats happening in relation to any prosecution on the 3rd party and if anyone has requested (and paid the fee) to have a copy of the report.