SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-05, 10:04 AM   #1
wyrdness

Default More congestion charging rumours

It's in The Register, so take with a small pinch of salt:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04...ngestion_zone/

I don't think that it would be possible to implement this for bikes, as the necessary hardware would probably be too big.
Old 05-04-05, 10:12 AM   #2
AlanSv

THis will make Jonboy happy... I can see it now.. mandatory topboxes to carry the congestion charging kit in!
Old 05-04-05, 10:32 AM   #3
thor

I have to say I think that the register's articles are actually better than most.

Anyway, this sytem makes so little sense. Effectively, they are raising revenue to pay for transport infrastucture. Sounds like, road tax! So if they need to get extra cash without ****ing people off who live in the countryside, under the guise of being a congestion charge, why don't they just double the road tax for vehicles registered inside the M25? Why waste all this money on stupid IT systems?
Old 05-04-05, 10:51 AM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Why waste all this money on stupid IT systems?
'Cos it keeps my company (Capita) in lucrative government contracts *ducks below parapet*

Wait wait! I work in their education division, nothing to do with the congestion charge boys